What's Incorrect About Calculating Impulse in This Volleyball Spike Example?

• Thread starter Ion1776
  • Start date
In summary, a ball with a mass of 0.24 kg and initial speed of 6.4 m/s is spiked, causing its speed to increase to 21 m/s. To find the magnitude of the impulse from the spike, we must subtract the initial and final momentum as vectors, taking into account direction. The result is a magnitude of 3.5 kg-m/s. However, this calculation is incorrect as it only considers the magnitude of the vectors and not their direction. To correctly find the magnitude of the impulse, we must find the components of the momentum vectors and subtract them, resulting in a magnitude of 5.04 kg-m/s.
Ion1776
What wrong with this problem?

A ball is traveling horizontally over a volleyball net when a player "spikes" it, driving it straight down to the ground. The ball's mass is 0.24 kg, its speed before being hit is 6.4 m/s and its speed immediately after the spike is 21 m/s. What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike?

J=(.24kg)(21m/s)-(.24kg)(6.4m/s)=3.5

this is wrong, what's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

Still need some input on this please?

Ion1776 said:
J=(.24kg)(21m/s)-(.24kg)(6.4m/s)=3.5

this is wrong, what's wrong
Impulse and momentum are vectors--you must take direction into account. Subtract them as vectors, not just numbers.

This probably sounds stupid but what do u mean by subtract them as vectors.

I know know what vectors are but...

Ion1776 said:
This probably sounds stupid but what do u mean by subtract them as vectors.

I know know what vectors are but...
You just subtracted them as numbers--which means you treated them as if they pointed in the same direction.

To subtract vectors, draw yourself a diagram. The two vectors are perpendicular to each other. Or you can find their components and subtract them.

Hint: Subtracting is the inverse of adding. How would you add two perpendicular vectors?

again this sounds dumb, but would add these as vectors give you

(.48kg, 27.4m/s)

Ion1776 said:
again this sounds dumb, but would add these as vectors give you

(.48kg, 27.4m/s)
No, that doesn't quite make sense.

I'll start you off. Let's call horizontal and vertical the x and y axes (like usual).

The initial momentum is:
mv = (.24 kg)*(6.4 m/s) = 1.54 kg-m/s in the + x direction
Expressed as a vector using components, it would be:
(1.54, 0)

The final momentum is
mv = (.24 kg)*(21 m/s) = 5.04 kg-m/s in the - y direction
Expressed as a vector using components, it would be:
(0, -5.04)

Now subtract those two momentum vectors and find the magnitude of the impulse.

Alright got it

Related to What's Incorrect About Calculating Impulse in This Volleyball Spike Example?

1. What are the common mistakes made when solving a problem in science?

Some common mistakes made when solving a problem in science include using incorrect or outdated data, not considering all variables, and not following the scientific method.

2. How can I identify errors in my scientific method?

One way to identify errors in your scientific method is to have a peer review your process and results. Another way is to carefully examine each step of the scientific method and make sure it was followed correctly.

3. What should I do if my results do not match my hypothesis?

If your results do not match your hypothesis, it is important to analyze your data and see if there are any errors or inconsistencies. You may also need to revise your hypothesis and try again with a new approach.

4. Is it possible to have more than one correct solution to a scientific problem?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple correct solutions to a scientific problem. Science is a constantly evolving field and there may be different approaches or perspectives that can lead to successful solutions.

5. How can I prevent bias from affecting my problem-solving process?

To prevent bias from affecting your problem-solving process, it is important to use objective and unbiased methods for data collection and analysis. It can also be helpful to have multiple researchers working on the problem to provide different perspectives and reduce individual biases.