What's that sound on cars on a hot day?

In summary, cars may make clicking sounds on the surface on a hot day due to the expansion of sheet metal. This is a common occurrence and is similar to how metal roofs on structures behave. The color of the car does not seem to affect this phenomenon.
flyingpig
Like on a hot day, cars make these clicking sounds on the surface? Does having a silver or white-colored car make it worst? Because I've seen black -colored ones do that too

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
Like on a hot day, cars make these clicking sounds on the surface? Does having a silver or white-colored car make it worst? Because I've seen black -colored ones do that too

Without actually hearing the same sounds that you hear, it is hard to say what they might be. I believe that a likely explanation is simply the expansion of sheet metal exposed to heat. There is always a certain amount of "looseness" where such parts join, and also a certain amount of friction that opposes free expansion. When the expansive forces overcome the frictional forces, the adjustment is abrupt--producing a "clicking" sound. Metal roofs on structures do exactly the same thing.

Let's just say the clicking sounds has a high frequency

Related to What's that sound on cars on a hot day?

1. What is that clicking or ticking sound coming from my car on a hot day?

The most likely cause of this sound is the heat shield on the exhaust system. When the car is hot, the metal expands and can cause the heat shield to vibrate and make a clicking or ticking sound.

2. Why does my car make a squealing noise when I turn on the AC on a hot day?

This is often caused by a loose or worn out belt in the air conditioning system. When the AC is turned on, it puts more strain on the belt, causing it to slip and squeal. It is important to have this checked and replaced if necessary to avoid further damage to the AC system.

3. What could be causing a rattling noise from the engine on a hot day?

A common cause of this type of noise is a loose or damaged heat shield on the exhaust system. It can also be caused by loose or worn out engine mounts or other components in the engine compartment. It is important to have this checked by a mechanic to determine the exact cause.

4. Why does my car make a whining noise when I accelerate on a hot day?

This could be a sign of a worn out or damaged serpentine belt. As the car heats up, the belt can become looser and slip, causing a high-pitched whining noise. It is important to have this checked and replaced if necessary to avoid further damage to the engine.

5. Is it normal for my car to make a humming noise on a hot day?

In most cases, a slight humming noise from the engine on a hot day is normal and nothing to be concerned about. However, if the noise is loud or persistent, it could be a sign of a problem with the alternator or other engine components. It is best to have it checked by a mechanic to be sure.