Whats the deal with the higgs boson?

In summary, the LHC is still looking for evidence of the Higgs boson. If it is found, it would be a major discovery in particle physics. There is a 60-70% chance that the Higgs is actually present at the LHC, and further confirmation is expected this year.
Darken-Sol
from the little info i have found it i gather we are still looking. where can i find more info? google just brings up wiki and some crap from cnn. i don't know much about it, however i would like to. if it gives other particles mass how can we find it in a particle collider? wouldn't it already have affected the particles used? or would it give them mass again? would the chances be better in a pure vacuum? any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darken-Sol said:
from the little info i have found it i gather we are still looking. where can i find more info? google just brings up wiki and some crap from cnn. i don't know much about it, however i would like to. if it gives other particles mass how can we find it in a particle collider? wouldn't it already have affected the particles used? or would it give them mass again? would the chances be better in a pure vacuum? any help would be appreciated.
There is a tentative detection from the LHC late last year. The two main particle detectors each saw relatively small excesses in their Higgs signals at the same place. The detection isn't definitive yet, but I'd personally give it about a 60-70% probability of being correct. Here's a write-up that you might be interested in:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21457-what-the-latest-lhc-revelations-say-about-the-higgs.html

The Higgs boson is a critical, missing piece in modern particle theory. Without the Higgs, the current model would require major changes. Given the current model works very well, this would not be a convenient outcome. The best place to watch for new information is at the CERN site. New data and analysis is expected this year. I'm fairly optimistic detection will be confirmed. This will be huge news - as in the kind meriting mention on major news networks.

The Higgs boson is a critical, missing piece in modern particle theory.

You mean its there in theory but we haven't detected it yet, right?

Naty1 said:
You mean its there in theory but we haven't detected it yet, right?
It's an essential component of the standard model and many proposed theories that go beyond the standard model. While we do not yet have a definitive detection, there is a tentative one that was announced late last year by both of the main LHC experiments (CMS and Atlas).

As both detectors already collected the same amount of data as 2011 this year (technically, 20% less integrated luminosity, but the higher energy compensates this), expect new results at the summer conferences.

Friday morning (Vancouver, probably PDT), both collaborations (ATLAS and CMS) will give a talk about their higgs searches - maybe they can present something from 2012, but probably nothing conclusive.
Another good date would be the first week in july.

In reply to Darken-Sol.
A good reference source for updated information is theoretical physicist Professor Matt Strassler's blog just Google for same. You can have his regular updates delivered to your inbox by signing-up and he will be pleased to answer any queries you may have. His penchant for data accuracy by way of opinion is highly recommended.

thank you. you guys are awesome.

FAQ: Whats the deal with the higgs boson?

1. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give mass to other particles in the universe. It was first theorized in the 1960s by Peter Higgs and other physicists as part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the Higgs boson important?

The discovery of the Higgs boson is important because it helps to explain how particles in the universe have mass. Without the Higgs boson, particles would not have enough mass to form atoms and thus, the universe as we know it would not exist.

3. How was the Higgs boson discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) used this powerful particle accelerator to collide particles at high speeds, allowing them to observe the Higgs boson for the first time.

4. What does the discovery of the Higgs boson mean for science?

The discovery of the Higgs boson confirms the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics and provides a deeper understanding of the universe and its fundamental building blocks. It also opens up new avenues for research and could potentially lead to further discoveries and breakthroughs in the field of physics.

5. What are the potential implications of the Higgs boson for everyday life?

While the discovery of the Higgs boson may not have immediate implications for everyday life, it could lead to advancements in technology and energy in the future. Additionally, the research and techniques used to discover the Higgs boson have already led to other advancements in fields such as medicine and electronics.