What's the Difference Between Aging Beef and Spoiled Beef?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    aging
In summary: Properly aged beef is safe to eat and actually improves in taste and tenderness. This is because the aging process involves enzymes and not mold growth. So, in summary, properly aged beef does not have a green coating and is safe to eat due to the enzymes involved in the aging process.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well-aged beef is hung for as much as 30 days until it goes green. The green is scraped off and you have a very expensive, tasty piece of meat.

Beef in my fridge goes off after a week or two and if I eat it I will get sick.

What is the difference?

I'm sure the first responses will talk about specific types of mold. Are the ones in aging not harmful? If I eat that green piece of meat, I'll still get sick, right? And no amount of scraping will get enough off that I won't still ingest large quantities. So what gives?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Properly aging meat does not allow any mold or bacterial colonies to grow on it. If you're removing parts from the roast after aging, it should only be because they're dessicated, not because they've rotted.

"Aging" is a result of activities of enzymes within the beef, not the result of a "friendly" mold growth like a cheese --- the molds that get going in your fridge ain't "friendly."

Oh.

"Beef is aged for 7 to 21 days. During this process a crust forms on the outside of the loin, very similar to the texture of beef jerky. This layer is trimmed away, leaving steaks that are superior in tenderness and flavor. During the dry aging process, the juices are absorbed into the meat, enhancing the flavor and tenderizing the steaks."

http://www.askthemeatman.com/dry_aging_beef_info.htm

So, no green coating.

Related to What's the Difference Between Aging Beef and Spoiled Beef?

1. What is the difference between aging and going bad in beef?

Aging is a controlled process in which beef is stored in controlled temperatures and humidity levels to improve its tenderness and flavor. Going bad refers to when beef has spoiled and is no longer safe to consume.

2. How does aging affect the taste of beef?

Aging allows enzymes in the beef to break down muscle fibers, resulting in a more tender and flavorful meat. It also allows for the development of complex flavors due to the breakdown of proteins and fats.

3. What factors contribute to beef going bad?

The most common factors that contribute to beef going bad include exposure to air, moisture, and bacteria. Improper storage temperature and length of time also play a role in beef spoiling.

4. How can you tell if beef has gone bad?

The most obvious sign that beef has gone bad is a foul odor. Other signs include a slimy texture, discoloration, and visible mold or bacterial growth. If you are not sure, it is always best to err on the side of caution and discard the beef.

5. Is aged beef safe to eat?

Yes, aged beef is safe to eat as long as it has been stored and handled properly. The controlled aging process helps to kill harmful bacteria and improve the flavor and tenderness of the meat. However, it is important to follow proper food safety guidelines when handling and cooking aged beef, just as you would with any other type of meat.