What's the Difference Between Trigonometry and Geometry?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between trigonometry and geometry, as well as the importance of improving algebra and trig skills before taking calculus and physics. The conversation also recommends various books on trigonometry, geometry, and algebra, including "Plane Trigonometry" by S.L. Loney and "Higher Algebra" by H.S. Hall and S.R. Knight. The speakers also mention the difficulty level of these books and suggest using them as reference material rather than textbooks. They also briefly discuss a calculus book and recommend starting with a more basic approach before delving into more rigorous texts.
Miike012
This upcoming semester I will be taking trig... I wanted to know what the diff is between trig and geometry... are they both the same thing?

Anyways, I really want to increase my algebra skills and trig skills as much as possible before I go nto calc and physics... are there any good books on trig, geometry or algebra?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Trigonometry (literally "triangle measure") is more specialized than geometry in that it deals with triangles rather than arbitrary geometric objects.

Trigonometry and algebra are often combined in precalculus courses. There are lots of books. Do you know what text you will be using for your class?

I hope you have that book in the link already, since it was sold out when I clicked the link. Off the top of my head I don't know of any books on trig that aren't school texts. You might do a search with "trigonometry" on amazon.com. I'm sure they would have plenty of titles available.

Yeah I know, I will have to get one at the text store from school.. I know they have the book. But I will just have to search around.

Plane Trigonommetry by S.L. Loney. The famous book that kept Ramanujan interested through secondary school. This book probably contains more trig than any high schooler, even the motivated ones, would care to know. Also, its quite old and might contain somethings quite useless for a modern trig course. But still, if you want to go really deep into trig, this book is your friend. More than a hundred years after its first print, it is still one of the good sources to refer to if you want to work on really good, challenging problems like for olympiads.

thank you so much.. i will search for it now

Yes that is the one I was talking about. I do know an old classic for algebra as well but a word of caution: by supplementing these for textbooks you could set too difficult a task for yourself and you may become discouraged soon. Use them rather as reference books, maybe to read proofs your teacher skips.

Higher Algebra (by H.S. Hall and S.R. Knight)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402179650/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its also almost just as old as Loney's book. It has an even dryer prose and I'd say its much tougher than Loney's Plane Trig. Some of the chapters in it are usually only taught at university level these days like number theory, linear algebra, continued fractions and some other stuff as well. However, most of the theory is at high school level algebra but in much more rigorous detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha are they really that difficult...? I think I can handle them (I hope lol) currently I am reading a number theory book and calc book ( never taken them) and I am doing just fine... so hopefully these ones arnt any more difficult than the ones that I am reading currently.

Ps. currently I am reading a book called "calculus an intuitive and physical approach." (Have you heard of it? if so what do you think about it?) anyways once I am done with the book I am looking for another more adcanced calc book, know of any? lol sorry I just keep asking you for books lol.

When i was in High school I used Trigonometry by I.M. Gelfand and M. Saul. There are some really awesome proofs that I didn't learn in my Trig class.

This algebra book that I am looking at, if it is the one you are talking about, it is much diff than the one I have currently.

Yes this is the book I'm talking about.
Ha are they really that difficult...?
I think difficult would be the wrong word; they will have much much more details and proofs than will be required by a normal school level course. More than one can cover in a year or maybe even two. The extra theory won't be impossibly challenging but the problems can be very tough. For example, the end of book problems includes selection from tough university exams and even Math Tripos! The point of the warning is: don't be discouraged if sometimes its hard to understand something from the almost non-existent prose and the monotonous theorem-proof style of exposition; these books can be very dull. Modern texts are much better written but I'm not aware of any such book, aimed at high school students, with such in-depth study of things.

I haven't read the calculus book you mentioned however it seems like a good book. We just used our assigned text by Sowokowski and I tried Apostol on the side. For rigorous calculus, I'd suggest Apostol or Spivak but at least not until you have a grip on algebra and trig and have gone through all the basics of single variable calculus from an easier approach. Its not how much you can follow, but how much you can get out of a book. One can probably understand Apostol's first few chapters after 8th grade but he won't really benefit much from it as he doesn't have the general overview of the basics.

Hey Mike,

If you didn't already find it, you can download that algebra book that was recommended as well on Google books here: http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=grQUWYejIq4C&num=10

Just click "Read on Your Device" at the right and scroll down to "Download as PDF"

haha ok Saim, I am eating my own words lol... but it is really a cool book! this is what I have been looking for. thank you.

thank you middlecmusic... its just my lucky day... getting to great books.

Related to What's the Difference Between Trigonometry and Geometry?

1. What is the best way to start learning math?

The best way to start learning math is to begin with the basics. This includes understanding numbers, basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), and the order of operations. It is also important to have a positive attitude and be willing to practice and make mistakes.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

The key to improving math skills is practice. You can do this by solving math problems, completing worksheets or exercises, and even playing math games. It's also helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, textbooks, or a tutor for extra help.

3. What are some common math concepts that I should focus on?

Some common math concepts that are important to understand include fractions, decimals, percentages, algebra, geometry, and basic statistics. These concepts are used in many different areas of math and will provide a strong foundation for further learning.

4. How do I overcome my fear of math?

One way to overcome a fear of math is to change your mindset and approach to learning. Instead of seeing math as something to fear, try to view it as a challenge or puzzle to solve. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and remember that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process.

5. How can I apply math skills in everyday life?

Math is used in many different ways in our daily lives, from calculating tips at a restaurant to managing personal finances. Understanding math can also help with problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, many careers require a strong understanding of math, making it a valuable skill to have in the workforce.