What's the difference between W = 0.5 P Δ and W = P Δ for external work?

• Thread starter fonseh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the author is discussing how if a force is applied to a system that is in equilibrium then there is a KE developed. If the force is applied to a system that is already loaded then the force can be largely constant.
fonseh

Homework Statement

both of these notes are in the same chapter . So , they are relevant to each other ... In the first picture, what's the difference between the 2 circled part ? The first one is W = 0.5 P Δ , the second one is W = P Δ..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the second picture , I think we should use W = 0.5 P Δ instead of W = P Δ ..
(For the external work, the author use 1Δ , so 1 = P so , it's clear that the author use W = P Δ and not W = 0.5 P Δ)

I think W = 0.5 P Δ is more appropriate because W = force x displacement , which is also area under the graph ... Since the area under the graph is triangle , so 0.5 is necessary
[/B]

Attachments

• 588.png
    588.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 589.png
    589.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
The author seems very sloppy with his maths. The first two lines should be:
P
P = k∆

and he should integrate P.d∆ not P1.d∆1

This is analogous to doing work against a spring, so the factor ½ is required and accounts for the area under the line being triangular.

I can't figure out how the equation in your red rectangle is relevant here. (It would apply in the case where P was fixed regardless of ∆.)

Your second image is beyond me.

In the first image, I do not understand what it means to say "P1 is located for displacement Δ1".
If it means it is constant over that displacement then it makes sense.

For the second image, there seems to be missing context. It refers to "the" unit load being applied, as though this is continuing from some prior description. Can you supply that background?

If this were the result of a machine's translation into English, then I'd say located≡ fixed :smile:
and we already know that a value fixed ≡ constant :wink:

Likes fonseh
Can I say that for the trusses member, constant force is applied so that the trusses deform ( displacement occur ) ?? So, p (Delta ) is used ??

fonseh said:
Can I say that for the trusses member, constant force is applied so that the trusses deform ( displacement occur ) ?? So, p (Delta ) is used ??
If you apply a constant force to, say, a spring that starts off relaxed then you will get a substantial initial acceleration. The KE developed would mean that you would overshoot the equilibrium position.
However, if the situation is that there is already a significant load and we are just applying a small extra load then the force can be largely constant over that deformation.

Related to What's the difference between W = 0.5 P Δ and W = P Δ for external work?

1. What is the purpose of "Work to elongate the things"?

The purpose of "Work to elongate the things" is to stretch and lengthen various materials or objects in order to alter their shape or properties.

2. How does "Work to elongate the things" work?

"Work to elongate the things" uses different methods, such as mechanical force or heat, to apply stress and cause the material to elongate. This can result in changes in the material's physical properties, such as increased strength or flexibility.

3. What types of materials can be elongated through this process?

Almost any material can be elongated, including metals, plastics, and even biological materials like muscles and tendons. The specific method used may vary depending on the material and the desired outcome.

4. What are the benefits of elongating materials?

Elongating materials can have various benefits, such as increasing their strength, improving their flexibility, or altering their shape for specific applications. It can also be used in manufacturing processes to create products with desired properties.

5. Are there any potential risks or limitations to "Work to elongate the things"?

While elongating materials can have many benefits, there are also potential risks and limitations. Over-stretching a material can cause it to become weaker or even break. Additionally, not all materials can be elongated in the same way, so it's important to understand the properties of the material before attempting to elongate it.