What's the name of this series?

• I
  • Thread starter puzzled fish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a series involving the net Newtonian gravitational force on a mass at rest on one vertex of a cube, with all other masses arranged on an orthogonal lattice inside the cube. The conversation also mentions different methods of evaluating the series, including a quick VB macro and an approximation using integrals.
puzzled fish
I found this series, when I tried to evaluate the net Newtonian gravitational force on a mass at rest upon one vertex of a cube while all the other masses were arranged on an orthogonal lattice inside the cube:
## \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{j=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {i^2 + j^2 + k^2} ##
I tried to evaluate, ## \sum\limits_{j=1}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {i^2 + j^2} ## with a quick VB macro ( Mathematica was very slow ) up to i = j = 500000 and it seems to converge. The amount of calculations for the triple series is enormous, I haven't done it, but it still converges I think.
Sorry, I don't know how to fix this Latex code.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can include LaTeX by putting ## or $$ around formulas, done in the quote here:
puzzled fish said:
I found this series, when I tried to evaluate the net Newtonian gravitational force on a mass at rest upon one vertex of a cube while all the other masses were arranged on an orthogonal lattice inside the cube.
$$\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{j=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {i^2 + j^2 + k^2}$$ with the first term i = j = k = 0 removed.
I tried to evaluate, $$\sum\limits_{j=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {i^2 + j^2}$$ ( first term removed ) with a quick VB macro ( Mathematica was very slow ) up to i = j = 500000 and it seems to converge. The amount of calculations for the triple series is enormous, I haven't done it, but it still converges I think.
The individual sums have analytic expressions: WolframAlpha result. You can see if you can sum over these expressions again.

It does not converge.

Oh, good point.

It is similar to an integral over ##\frac{1}{r^2}## in 3-dimensional space.

So, it does converge...

puzzled fish said:
So, it does converge...
No. And by forgetting that the forces come with different directions you made it even less convergent.

For a moment I tried to get a rigorous lower bound for the two dimensional sum by starting from

[tex]
\frac{1}{x^2 + y^2} \leq \frac{1}{\lfloor x\rfloor^2 + \lfloor y\rfloor^2}
[/tex]

but unfortunately a bunch of technical difficulties arise from the polar coordinates working nicely around the origin (0,0), and the original sum having instead the point (1,1) with a special meaning, and eventually I gave up thinking that this isn't such an interesting problem. Anyway, it looks like that if you invest enough effort to this, you can come up with some rigorous lower bound eventually. If puzzled fish is still taking this sum seriously, perhaps he should take finding that lower bound as challenge?

Meanwhile, I wrote down the following crude approximation:

[tex]
\sum_{n,m=1}^{N-1} \frac{1}{n^2 + m^2} \approx \int\limits_1^N dx\int\limits_1^N dy\frac{1}{x^2 + y^2}
\approx \int\limits_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta \int\limits_1^N dr \;r \frac{1}{r^2} = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln(N)
[/tex]

puzzled fish, does it look like that your numerical computation are in agreement with this approximation, at least concerning the magnitudes?

jostpuur said:
For a moment I tried to get a rigorous lower bound for the two dimensional sum by starting from

[tex]
\frac{1}{x^2 + y^2} \leq \frac{1}{\lfloor x\rfloor^2 + \lfloor y\rfloor^2}
[/tex]

but unfortunately a bunch of technical difficulties arise from the polar coordinates working nicely around the origin (0,0), and the original sum having instead the point (1,1) with a special meaning, and eventually I gave up thinking that this isn't such an interesting problem. Anyway, it looks like that if you invest enough effort to this, you can come up with some rigorous lower bound eventually. If puzzled fish is still taking this sum seriously, perhaps he should take finding that lower bound as challenge?

Meanwhile, I wrote down the following crude approximation:

[tex]
\sum_{n,m=1}^{N-1} \frac{1}{n^2 + m^2} \approx \int\limits_1^N dx\int\limits_1^N dy\frac{1}{x^2 + y^2}
\approx \int\limits_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta \int\limits_1^N dr \;r \frac{1}{r^2} = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln(N)
[/tex]

puzzled fish, does it look like that your numerical computation are in agreement with this approximation, at least concerning the magnitudes?
Thank you for your answer. Very foolish question of me indeed! Next time I shall remember to take the integral rest sooner..

Related to What's the name of this series?

1. What is the name of this series?

The name of this series is often the first thing viewers want to know when starting a new show. The name of a series can give insight into the overall theme or plot, and can help viewers remember and discuss the show with others.

2. How do I find the name of a series?

If you are trying to find the name of a series that you have already watched, you can search for it online using keywords or descriptions of the show. You can also check streaming platforms or TV listings for the name of the series. If you are trying to find the name of a series you are currently watching, it is usually displayed in the title sequence or in the show's description.

3. Can a series have multiple names?

Yes, a series can have multiple names. This can occur if the series was originally produced in a different language and has been translated into other languages. In these cases, the title may change to better appeal to the target audience or to avoid confusion with similar existing titles.

4. What if I can't remember the name of a series?

If you can't remember the name of a series, you can try describing the show to someone else or using keywords to search for it online. You can also try to recall any specific details or plot points from the series, as this may help jog your memory and lead you to the name of the show.

5. Why is the name of a series important?

The name of a series is important because it serves as a way to identify and differentiate it from other shows. It can also give viewers an idea of what to expect from the series and can help them decide whether or not to watch it. Additionally, the name of a series can become a recognizable brand and help with marketing and promotion efforts.