What's the Probability of Finding Cake in the Last Box?

• Thread starter GlobalDuty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of finding a cake in the last box after opening 4 empty boxes. There are two possible interpretations of the question, but ultimately the probability is 1/5 as the cake has to be in one of the boxes. The conversation also acknowledges the poor wording of the problem.
GlobalDuty
you open box after box until you get the cake.
what's the probability that after opening 4 empty boxes, you open the last box with cake?

i know that the probablity of finding cake in the first box is 1/5.
i think for the 5th box you multiply: (1/5)(1/4)(1/3)(1/2) to get the answer. is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GlobalDuty said:

But you don't want the probability of cake, you want the probability of no cake.

Depending on how you interpret the question there are two (or more?) possible answers.

GlobalDuty said:
you open box after box until you get the cake.
what's the probability that after opening 4 empty boxes, you open the last box with cake?

i think for the 5th box you multiply: (1/5)(1/4)(1/3)(1/2) to get the answer. is this right?
This looks like a trick question. Simply put, if you have already opened 4 boxes and no cake, then the fifth box MUST have the cake (unless someone was fooling around and there was no cake at all). Therefore the probability is 1.

CRGreathouse said:
Depending on how you interpret the question there are two (or more?) possible answers.

yeah, this is bothering me

mathman said:
This looks like a trick question. Simply put, if you have already opened 4 boxes and no cake, then the fifth box MUST have the cake (unless someone was fooling around and there was no cake at all). Therefore the probability is 1.

the wording is bad, but its not a trick question. i guess better wording would be:
what's the probability that you open all the boxes and then find cake in the last one?

GlobalDuty said:
yeah, this is bothering me

If we assume what you write in the following paragraph, there is no ambiguity.

Here is the easy way to do it: by deciding which box to open first, which second, etc., you are specifying which box you will open last. Since the cake is equally likely to be in any of the 5 boxes, the probability that the cake is in that particular box is 1/5.

If you are not convinced that that answers the question you posed, then you can do it the hard way: the probability of NOT finding the cake in the first box is 4/5, the probability of NOT finding the cake in the second box (given that it was not in the first box) is 3/4, the probability of NOT finding the cake in the third box (given that it was not in the first or second boxes) is 2/3, and the probability of NOT finding the cake in the second box (given that it was not in the first, second, or third boxes) is 1/2.

The probability that the cake is in the fifth box is exactly the probability that it is NOT in the first box and NOT in the second box and NOT in the third box and NOT in the fourth box: (4/5)(3/4)(2/3)(1/2)= 1/5.

That, of course, is just the probability that it was in that particular box a-priori.

o ok, thanks for the responses.
the problem was bad to begin with.

FAQ: What's the Probability of Finding Cake in the Last Box?

1. What is the concept behind "5 Boxes, only 1 has cake?"

The concept behind "5 Boxes, only 1 has cake" is a probability puzzle that challenges individuals to use logical thinking and deductive reasoning to determine which box contains the cake.

2. How many boxes are involved in this puzzle?

As the name suggests, there are 5 boxes involved in this puzzle. One of the boxes contains the cake, while the other 4 are empty.

3. What clues are provided to solve this puzzle?

The only clue provided is that only one box contains the cake. This means that the other 4 boxes are empty and do not contain any cake.

4. Is there a specific strategy to solve this puzzle?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve this puzzle. Some people use the process of elimination by opening each box until the cake is found, while others use logical reasoning to narrow down the options.

5. Can this puzzle have multiple solutions?

No, there is only one correct solution to this puzzle. Only one box can contain the cake and the other 4 boxes must be empty.