What's the relative speed of electricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how long it takes for electricity to turn something on and the use of an extension cord as an example. It is explained that the signal will propagate through the extension cord at a speed dependent on the insulating material. The conversation also provides links for further explanation on the topic.
Magma828
I've searched for this question on these forums and google and everyone seems to have the same question as me, but hasn't stated it clear enough for people to understand exactly what they want to know.

I'm wondering how long it takes for electricity to turn something on. I don't want to know how fast electrons flow because I know all about electron drift velocity, and this is clearly nowhere near the speed at which electricity takes effect.

Put it this way:
I have a massive extension cable which I connect from from my house in St Andrews to London. The dude in London has a light plugged into the end of the extension cable. When I switch the plug on, how long will it take for the guy to see the light turn on?

Also, please don't reply stating the flaws in my experiment - just imagine everything is perfect and we have super-accurate measuring equipment.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simple answer to your question is that the extension cord will behave like a transmission line, and the signal will propagate through the line at somewhat less than the speed of light, with the ratio of the speed of the signal to the speed of light depending on the relative dielectric constant of the insulating material between the wires in the extension cord. Try this link for an explanation:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_14/2.html

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_14/3.html

The signal speed in a high quality cable is about 2/3 the speed of light.

Related to What's the relative speed of electricity?

1. What is the speed of electricity?

The speed of electricity, also known as the propagation speed, is the rate at which an electrical signal travels through a medium. This speed can vary depending on the type of medium and the conditions, but on average, electricity travels at about 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light.

2. How is the speed of electricity measured?

The speed of electricity is measured by calculating the time it takes for an electrical signal to travel a known distance. This is typically done using high-speed oscilloscopes or other specialized equipment.

3. Does the speed of electricity change?

Yes, the speed of electricity can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. For example, electricity will travel slower through materials with high resistance, such as rubber or glass, compared to materials with low resistance, such as copper or silver.

4. How does the speed of electricity compare to the speed of light?

The speed of electricity is very close to the speed of light, with both being around 300 million meters per second. However, the speed of light is slightly faster as it can travel through a vacuum, while electricity requires a medium to travel through.

5. Can the speed of electricity be increased?

Yes, the speed of electricity can be increased by using materials with low resistance and reducing any obstructions or interruptions in the medium. However, it is limited by the properties of the medium it is traveling through and cannot exceed the speed of light.