Whats the rule for a Secondary of a transformer VS Rectification metho

• Thread starter smokingwheels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, a Full Wave Center Tap Bridge will give you two supplies, one positive and one negative. Provided you use the center tap as circuit common, the two supplies are equivalent.
smokingwheels
I seem to remember my lecturer talking about Transformers and Rectification methods and there ratings for different modes of operation (25 Years ago).

I bought a book called Understanding DC Power Supplies By Barry Davies and I can't find any reference to my question in it.

The question is if you use a Full-wave rectifier using a center tap transformer and 2 diodes, can each of the transformers secondary rating be equal 1/2 the output current needed because each winding is only supping the power for 1/2 the time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a full wave rectified transformer, each half of the transformer secondary winding conducts for only half the time.

So, for example, if the winding was rated for 5 amps then it could deliver 10 amps if it was only delivering it for half the time.
The winding can cool down between bursts of conduction.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
In a full wave rectified transformer, each half of the transformer secondary winding conducts for only half the time.

So, for example, if the winding was rated for 5 amps then it could deliver 10 amps if it was only delivering it for half the time.
The winding can cool down between bursts of conduction.

This is only true if it is a center tap common secondary. A full wave bridge that utilizes the whole secondary at once will be limited to its rating.

jim hardy said:
try here

there's some additional correction for the non-sinewave current's different RMS value

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf

Could I assume if I had a Full Wave Center Tap Bridge and loaded the windings 180 ° out of phase I may be able to draw I D.C = 1.27 x Sec. I A.C ?

smokingwheels said:
Could I assume if I had a Full Wave Center Tap Bridge and loaded the windings 180 ° out of phase I may be able to draw I D.C = 1.27 x Sec. I A.C ?

Are you really going to have a purely resistive load? Are you not going to filter the rectifier output with a capacitor to obtain nearly pure DC?

smokingwheels said:

i'm not quite sure what you mean by " and loaded the windings 180 ° out of phase "

but a centertap with full wave bridge gives you two supplies, one positive and one negative
provided you use the centertap as circuit common. I think that's what you are proposing ?

I think that'd be equivalent to the diagram labeled " Full Wave Bridge Resistive Load" just above and right. Reason is each half of the transformer winding conducts all the time
Compare that one to your proposed circuit - in your scheme, if positive and negative currents are equal then there's none through centertap so circuits are equivalent and your current available is 0.9 not 1.27, mostly because transformer doesn't get that rest between half cycles.

Likes smokingwheels

FAQ: Whats the rule for a Secondary of a transformer VS Rectification metho

What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another, without any direct electrical connection between the two circuits. It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field in one coil (primary) induces a voltage in a nearby coil (secondary).

What is the purpose of a secondary in a transformer?

The secondary of a transformer is responsible for stepping up or stepping down the voltage of the input AC current. This is done by changing the number of turns in the secondary coil compared to the primary coil.

What is rectification method in transformers?

Rectification method is a process of converting an alternating current (AC) into a direct current (DC). This is done by using a rectifier, which is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction.

What is the difference between a secondary of a transformer and a rectification method?

The secondary of a transformer is a component that is responsible for changing the voltage of the input current, while rectification method is a process that is used to convert AC to DC. Both are essential in electrical circuits, as transformers step up or step down voltage, while rectification method is used to change the direction of current flow.

What are the common types of rectification methods used in transformers?

The most common types of rectification methods used in transformers are half-wave and full-wave rectifiers. Half-wave rectifiers use only half of the input AC wave, while full-wave rectifiers use both halves of the wave, resulting in a smoother output. Other types include bridge rectifiers and center-tap rectifiers.

Back