What's the System Transfer Function H(z) for y[n] = −1/2y[n − 1] + x[n]?

In summary: If you did have to go on and solve for y[n] given the particular input x[n] then you'd have to worry about......the initial condition. Without knowing what x[n] is, you don't have anything to work with to solve for y[n].
crazycool2

Homework Statement

x[n] = anu[n]
A discrete system
y[n] = −1/2y[n − 1] + x[n];
where x[n] and y[n] in- and output of the system, respectively.
Find the system transfer function H(z), and sketch its zeros and poles
in the z-plane

Homework Equations

u[n] is the unit step function

The Attempt at a Solution

I transformed x[n] to X(z)
but what confuses is the-1/2y[n-1],
which basically means the previous -half of the previous output plus the input is equal to out put. but I don't know how to represent the previous output.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the time-shift theorem? And don't forget the initial condition.

And BTW I suggest rewriting the equation so as to put it in standard form:
y(n+1) + by(n) = x(n+1), n = 0, 1, ... in your case.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about the time shifting theorem, but I used the Transfer function H(z)=Y(z)/X(z). my X(z) is z/(z-a) and I tried Y(z) to be z+1/2 but I'm unsure. after that I supposed to sketch it's Zeros and poles. Am I on the right track?

crazycool2 said:
I'm not so sure about the time shifting theorem, but I used the Transfer function H(z)=Y(z)/X(z). my X(z) is z/(z-a) and I tried Y(z) to be z+1/2 but I'm unsure. after that I supposed to sketch it's Zeros and poles. Am I on the right track?

You got X(z) right but I don't know where you're going with the rest. Certainly not with z+ 1/2.

Question to you: if Z{y(n)} = Y(z), what is Z{y(n+1)}?

Other than that I refer you to my previous post. I can't really say more without violating the rules of this forum - until you get past this point.

well in the textbook I'm using it's written

Z [x (n − n0)] = z-n0X(z);

and if Z(Y[n])= Y(z) then Z(Y[n+1])= z1Y(z)

that's gives me y[n]+1/2y[n-1] = z0Y(z) + 1/2z-1Y(z)

that's where I go Y(z) = 1+1/2z-1. I don't understand where I am going wrong

crazycool2 said:
well in the textbook I'm using it's written

and if Z(Y[n])= Y(z) then Z(Y[n+1])= z1Y(z)

that's gives me y[n]+1/2y[n-1] = z0Y(z) + 1/2z-1Y(z)

that's where I go Y(z) = 1+1/2z-1. I don't understand where I am going wrong

You book should say
If Z{y(n)} = Y(z) then
Z{y(n+1)} = z{Y(z) - y(0)}
which is actually quite close to your second equation above, except for the initial condition y(0).

Distinguish between y and Y. Y is the z transformed version of y. I notice you sometimes use them interchangeably. Not good.

Again - I urge you to rewrite your original equation in the conventional way, with n, n+1 and n+2 terms instead of n-1, n and n+1. Reason is I don't want to get confused myself & come up with the wrong answer. It's very straight-forward.

y[n]+1/2y[n-1]=x[n]
→y[n+1]0+1/2y[n]=x[n+1]
Z-transform and get
→ z1Y(z) + 1/2z0Y(z)=z1X(z)
→ (z+1/2])Y(z)=zX(z)

given that H(z) = X(z)/Y(z)

z/(z+1/2)=X(z)/Y(z)=H(z)

I hope this is correct now?
though I'm still not getting the initial point part.

crazycool2 said:
y[n]+1/2y[n-1]=x[n]
→y[n+1]0+1/2y[n]=x[n+1]
This is now correct (I assume the 0 after the first term is a typo?)
Z-transform and get
→ (z+1/2])Y(z)=zX(z)

Also, the right-hand side is X(z), not zX(z). In you case x[n] = an+1u[n+1] so the Z transform of that term is X(z) = zZ{anu(n)}. But here you're dealing with any x[n] since you're after the transfer function H = Y/X so you ignore the particular form of x[n]. See below.

[/quote]
H= Y/X, not X/Y.
z/(z+1/2)=X(z)/Y(z)=H(z)
though I'm still not getting the initial point part.

Never mind about the initial condition. In a transfer function it is assumed that all initial conditions are zero. I should have noticed at the start that you're looking for a transfer function rather than a general solution of a finite-difference equation.

Including x[n] = anu[n] is a red herring in this problem. If you're looking for H = Y/X then the particular form of X is irrelevant. X is the input so Y = HX no matter what X happens to be. So your final equation is correct if you transpose X and Y and get rid of the numerator z.

If you did have to go on and solve for y[n] given the particular input x[n] then you'd have to worry about Z{x[n]}.

EDIT:

crazycool2 said:
y[n]+1/2y[n-1]=x[n]
→y[n+1]0+1/2y[n]=x[n+1]

This is now correct (I assume the 0 after the first term is a typo?)
Z-transform and get
→ (z+1/2])Y(z)=zX(z)
Correct.

[/quote]
H= Y/X, not X/Y.
z/(z+1/2)=X(z)/Y(z)=H(z)
Almost. If you change X(z)/Y(z) to Y(z)/X(z).

though I'm still not getting the initial point part.[/QUOTE]

Never mind about the initial condition. In a transfer function it is assumed that all initial conditions are zero. I should have noticed at the start that you're looking for a transfer function rather than the general solution of the full finite-difference equation.

Including x[n] = anu[n] is a red herring in this problem. If you're looking for H = Y/X then the particular form of X is irrelevant. X is the input so Y = HX no matter what X happens to be. If you did have to go on and solve for y[n] given the particular input x[n] then you'd have to worry about Z{x[n+1]}.

Also: I think I confused you unencessarily by having you rewrite the equation so that n=0 is the lowest n.

You could have left it as y[n] + (1/2)y[n-1] = x[n]
then use Z{y[n-1]} = z-1Z{y[n]}. I apologize for this unnecessary detour.

FAQ: What's the System Transfer Function H(z) for y[n] = −1/2y[n − 1] + x[n]?

What is a system transfer function?

A system transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a physical system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs, and is often used in control systems and signal processing.

How is a system transfer function derived?

A system transfer function is typically derived using mathematical models or experimental data. It can be calculated using techniques such as Laplace transforms, frequency response analysis, or impulse response analysis.

What information does a system transfer function provide?

A system transfer function provides information about the behavior and characteristics of a system, such as its stability, frequency response, and damping. It can also be used to design and optimize control systems.

What is the difference between a system transfer function and a frequency response function?

A system transfer function and a frequency response function are closely related, but have different purposes. A system transfer function describes the overall behavior of a system, while a frequency response function specifically describes how the system responds to input signals at different frequencies.

How is a system transfer function used in practical applications?

A system transfer function is used in various engineering fields, such as electrical, mechanical, and chemical engineering, to analyze and design systems. It is commonly used in control systems, filters, and communication systems to ensure optimal performance and stability.

Back