What's wrong with my electrometer (meas. current)?

• Thread starter Hyo X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of an electrometer to measure current and output voltage. The instrument has a range of amplification settings, with the blue curve using a 1E-9 A/V setting and the red curve using a 1E-10 A/V setting. The sweeps for each setting are identical, but the results are different due to the different amplification settings. The specs for the instrument state that the accuracy is 0.25% of the reading, not the full range, and the difference between the values at x=0.64V is 1.5E-11 A. It is suggested to redo the curves at a slower sweep rate.
Hyo X
I have an electrometer that measures current and ouputs a voltage. It has a range of operational amplifications, for example 1E-2 A/V to 1E-3 to ... to 1E-11 to 1E-12 A/V.

I applied a voltage sweep at a slow rate (100 mHz) and measured the current response. The sample is expected to have some resistance and some capacitance. The applied voltage, the sample configuration, and the sweep rate are all identical for red and blue. The only difference is the electrometer amplification setting.
The blue curve is the 1E-9 A/V setting, and the red curve is the 1E-10 A/V setting. There are two sweeps for each setting.
Why are they so different? is my electrometer busted?

untitled.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
30-50 pA in 1 nA is 3-5% ----- what are specs on the instrument?

Bystander said:
30-50 pA in 1 nA is 3-5% ----- what are specs on the instrument?

These are the Specs from the Spec Sheet.
I suppose for these runs I am switching between the 3rd and the 4th rows when I switch amplification settings.

Keithley617-Amps-specs.png

... and, 0.25 % of 2 nA full-scale is what?

Bystander said:
... and, 0.25 % of 2 nA full-scale is what?

Well, the spec says 0.25% rdg, which means 0.25% of reading, not full range. Part of the issue is the different line-shape. And that the sign of the signal is actually different for example at x=0.64 Volts.
If i use these specs, at x=0.64 V,
Red: 1.06E-11 +/- 1.7E-13
Blue: -5.5E-12 +/- 1.4E-14

These values are different by 1.5E-11 A.
Even if specs were 0.25% of full range, that is 0.25% of 2E-9 A or 5E-12, which is 1/3 of the difference between these values.

Hyo X said:
voltage sweep at a slow rate (100 mHz)
"... 2.5 s on pA scales."

As bystander pointed out, sweep much much slower and redo the curves

Related to What's wrong with my electrometer (meas. current)?

1. Why is my electrometer reading zero?

There are several potential reasons for a zero reading on an electrometer. First, make sure that the instrument is properly connected to the circuit and that all connections are secure. It is also possible that the instrument is set to the wrong range for the current being measured. Additionally, check for any external influences, such as electromagnetic interference, that may be affecting the reading.

2. How do I calibrate my electrometer?

The specific calibration process for an electrometer will depend on the model and manufacturer. However, in general, the calibration process involves applying a known voltage or current to the instrument and adjusting the settings until the reading matches the known value. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when calibrating an electrometer.

3. Can the temperature affect the readings of an electrometer?

Yes, temperature can have an impact on the readings of an electrometer. Some models may have built-in temperature compensation, but for others it is important to keep the instrument at a consistent temperature during use. Extreme temperatures can also potentially damage the instrument, so it is important to store and use it within the recommended temperature range.

4. What is the maximum current that an electrometer can measure?

The maximum current that an electrometer can measure will vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. It is important to consult the instrument's specifications or user manual to determine its maximum current range. Attempting to measure currents above the instrument's limit can damage the instrument and produce inaccurate readings.

5. How do I troubleshoot my electrometer if it is not working?

If your electrometer is not working, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. Next, check the power source and ensure that the instrument is receiving power. If the instrument still does not work, it may need to be recalibrated or there may be an internal issue that requires professional repair.