WhatsApp is overriding my sound setting

DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Why is WhatsApp on my Android ignoring my general sound setting (which is mute)?
< no ranting here. All perfectly cromulent >

I want WhatsApp to go back to respecting my system sound preferences.

I keep my phone on mute 95% of the time, so I only get notifications (texts, phone calls) by vibrate. WhatsApp just ignores this and alerts me audibly anyway.

I know there are notification settings in WhatsApp but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with overriding my phone's sound settings.

I've looked in both WhatsApp's settings and in my phone's settings and I don't see anything that sets WhatsApp as different.

I've also donned my Googles, but so far, no joy.

To be clear, I don't want to mute WhatsApp explicitly - if I did that it won't make any noise when I turn my phone's sound up.

What I want is for WhatsApp is respect my default settings the same as every other app does: make sound when my volume is up, vibrate when it's muted.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
If this is true then I'd contact WhatsApp developers by giving a review in the AppStore saying exactly that. Some developers read those comments and try to fix the problem or suggest a local setting fix.

Also I would check the WhatsApp app settings to see if they have a setting to honor or ignore the phone default settings.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the app to see if that fixes the issue?

These type of bugs and issues are very common. I don't know about this particular issue or anything about WhatsApp, but if you google things like this you might find that they have been notified about it many times for years and just don't care. The larger the company, the less likely that they care.

Likes jedishrfu
Back