Wheelbarrow in Static equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves a wheelbarrow with a center of mass at 0.400 m from the axle, and a load of 55.0 kg located 0.600 m from the axle. Ophelia is holding the handles at a distance of 1.20 m from the axle and lifting them at a 25.0° angle with the ground. The problem asks for the upward force that Ophelia applies to the handles in order to hold the wheelbarrow in that position. To solve this problem, we can use the equations \SigmaFx=0, \SigmaFy=0, and Torque=rFsin\vartheta. We can determine the upward force applied by Ophelia
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A wheelbarrow has a mass of 35.0 kg without the wheel. When empty, the center of mass is 0.400 m from the axle. A load with a mass of 55.0 kg is put in the wheelbarrow, 0.600 m from the axle. Ophelia holds the handles of the wheelbarrow, 1.20 m from the axle. She lifts the handles so that they make a 25.0° angle with the ground. What is the upward force that Ophelia applies to the handles in order to hold the wheelbarrow in that position?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0
Torque=rFsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0 I figure there's nothing to find out here because it's fairly obvious...I think.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0

Here, I figure it's mg=Fnormal + Fophelia
and since Ophelia is applying a torque force around the wheel:
mg=Fnormal + rFosin[tex]\theta[/tex]

Some problems: I don't know how to solve for Fo since Fnormal is in there too and is unknown, and I don't know how the difference in xcm should come in other than choosing axis of origin (of which I chose the wheel)

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I not getting responses because everyone is as lost as me? Alas!

FAQ: Wheelbarrow in Static equilibrium

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration or movement of the object.

What is a wheelbarrow?

A wheelbarrow is a small hand-propelled vehicle with one wheel and two handles used for moving small loads.

How does a wheelbarrow achieve static equilibrium?

A wheelbarrow achieves static equilibrium by balancing the weight of the load in the bucket with the weight of the handles and wheel, as well as the force of the ground pushing up on the wheelbarrow.

What factors can affect the static equilibrium of a wheelbarrow?

The weight and distribution of the load in the bucket, the length and angle of the handles, and the type of terrain the wheelbarrow is on can all affect the static equilibrium of a wheelbarrow.

Why is understanding static equilibrium important for scientists?

Understanding static equilibrium is important for scientists because it allows them to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of objects at rest. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.