When calculus fails Related rates question

In summary, the issue with using calculus for area calculations is that it is based on first order differential approximations, which are only accurate for infinitesimal values. When dealing with larger changes, the integral of the differential must be used instead to get the correct answer.
koab1mjr
Hi I was just curious as to why calculus does not seem to work in the situation of area calculation. I came across this doing some HW and noticed that the booked worked out a seemingly similar question in two separate ways

First was predicitng the chance in the length of the hypotenuse. Using the pythagorean theorm take the derivative and your done. Plug in values and one has a relation that will predict the value of the hypotenuse given the orginal sides and their respective changes.

Now I had a similar problem with an area questions where I was trying to determine the new area given a defined change in the sides. Repeating as I have seen earliar. Take the derivative plug in values and ... wrong answer.

So now I am curious to know the explanation why... Take area of a square given by a=s^2
the derivative is da = 2sds (I was taking the derivative in respects to time and eliminated dt) So given a 2x2 square with area 4, I want to predict the area if I increase the side by 1. Given the previous result it tells me that the da would be 4. But the next perfect square is 9.
I tried for triangles and as expected not correct. I just wanted to know why for some related rates calculus works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the issue is, what you are using is a first order differential approximation, which is just that, an approximation. The thing is, differentials are made for use with infinitesimal, or really small, values. Were your change in side length more like .0000000001, the approximation would be much more accurate. However, your value is 1, which in the world of infinitesimals, is extremely large. The first order approximation requires the portion of the graph that you are looking at(from s=2 to s=3)to appear to be essentially a straight line, hence it is a linear approximation.

However, if you were to integrate your differential 2sds with your bounds (from 2 to 3), and by doing so sum up all the infinitesimal changes in area along the way, you would get the correct answer.

Last edited:

Related to When calculus fails Related rates question

What is a related rates question in calculus?

A related rates question in calculus involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, typically with the use of derivatives. It often involves real-world scenarios where multiple quantities are changing simultaneously.

Why do students struggle with related rates questions in calculus?

Students often struggle with related rates questions because they require a strong understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and implicit differentiation. Additionally, these questions can be complex and involve multiple steps, making them challenging to solve.

What are some tips for solving related rates questions in calculus?

Some tips for solving related rates questions include carefully reading and understanding the given scenario, identifying the quantities that are changing and their rates of change, and using appropriate calculus formulas and techniques to find the desired rate of change.

Can related rates questions in calculus have real-world applications?

Yes, related rates questions often involve real-world scenarios such as rates of change of water levels in a tank, growth rates of populations, and rates of change of distances between moving objects. These applications demonstrate the practical use of calculus in solving real-world problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates questions in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates questions include using incorrect formulas or rules, not considering all the given information, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to ensure the correct answer is obtained.