When can a transposition cipher be thought of as a substituion cipher?

• Thread starter AXidenT
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a transposition cipher and a mixed/substitution cipher. It is mentioned that a mixed cipher changes the letters of the plaintext but not the order, while a transposition cipher changes the order but not the letters. It is then discussed that a polygraphic cipher would not necessarily preserve letter order, but it is possible for it to also be a transposition cipher if letter values are preserved, although this is unlikely.
AXidenT

Homework Statement

"Compare this cipher (transposition cipher) to a mixed (substitution) cipher and state under what circumstances a
transposition cipher can be thought of as a mixed cipher."

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of a question I stated that a mixed/substitution cipher changes the letters of the plaintext but not the order whilst a transposition cipher changes the order but not the letters of the plaintext (thus can be analysed through letter frequency count).

For the second part the only example I can think of is the obvious cipher where nothing changes, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're looking for. Any clues?

EDIT: I tried taking a general example and got that they were only equivalent when the shift was zero and every letter was equal. I think I'm on the totally wrong track here. :/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AXidenT said:
For the first part of a question I stated that a mixed/substitution cipher changes the letters of the plaintext but not the order
Are you familiar with a polygraphic cyphers? These substitute groups of letters so do not as such preserve letter order. How long could the group be?

So this condition would be a polygraphic cipher where the size of the group of letters that are substituted is the size of the plaintext? That would change both order and letter value, correct?

AXidenT said:
That would change both order and letter value, correct?

Yes potentially, but for this to also be a transposition cypher then letter value would have to be preserved, which is rather contrived. I can't see what else they could be looking for though.

FAQ: When can a transposition cipher be thought of as a substituion cipher?

1. What is a transposition cipher?

A transposition cipher is a method of encryption where the letters of a message are rearranged in a specific order to create a ciphertext. It does not change the actual letters, but rather rearranges them according to a predetermined key.

2. How is a transposition cipher different from a substitution cipher?

A substitution cipher replaces each letter in a message with a different letter, while a transposition cipher rearranges the existing letters without replacing them. In other words, a substitution cipher changes the letters, while a transposition cipher changes their order.

3. When can a transposition cipher be thought of as a substitution cipher?

A transposition cipher can be thought of as a substitution cipher when the key used to rearrange the letters is based on a specific pattern or rule. In this case, the rearrangement of letters is essentially the same as replacing them with different letters.

4. What are the advantages of using a transposition cipher compared to a substitution cipher?

One advantage of using a transposition cipher is that it is more difficult to break. This is because the original letters are not replaced, making frequency analysis more challenging. Additionally, transposition ciphers can be combined with other methods of encryption for added security.

5. Are there any limitations to using a transposition cipher?

Yes, there are limitations to using a transposition cipher. One limitation is that it is only effective for short messages, as longer messages can become too complex to decipher. Additionally, if the key used for rearrangement is discovered, the cipher becomes vulnerable to decryption.