When carring the nonpolar compound

• Thread starter pietro18
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves calculating the temperature of a solution when a nonpolar compound is transferred from a nonpolar solvent to water. The given information includes an increase in Gibb's free energy by 3.85 kJ, a decrease in enthalpy by 2.7 kJ/mol, and an increase in temperature by 22.5 J/K. The options for temperature are 18°C, 112°C, 27°C, and 560°C. The student is seeking help with step-by-step calculations and clarification on the problem statement. They are also asked to provide relevant equations and their own attempts at solving the problem.
pietro18

Homework Statement

When carring the nonpolar compound from nonpolar solvent in water Gibb’s free energy increase by 3,85kJ, the enthalpy decrease by 2,7kJ/mole and 22,5J/K accordingly . To calculate the temperature of solution.

a) 18 C
b) 112oC
c) 27 0C
d) 560C

Hepl PLZ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. What do you want to know ?
And: I can only help if you fill in 2 and 3 also, otherwise all I can do is give you the answer and that is useless!
(it's also flagrantly against PF rules and I don't want no trouble with them)

I'd like to know, how to calculate this taks step by step.

Thanks for help.

Well, wat are the relevant equations, and what have you done to come toward a solution?

By the way, what does carring mean? Is the problem statement complete ?

I would first clarify any missing information and assumptions in the given context. For example, it is unclear what is meant by "carring" and what specific nonpolar compound and solvents are being referred to. Additionally, the units for enthalpy change should be specified (e.g. kJ/mol or J/g).

Assuming that the compound is being transferred from a nonpolar solvent to water, the positive change in Gibb's free energy suggests that the process is not spontaneous and requires energy input. The negative change in enthalpy suggests that the process is exothermic, meaning heat is released. The positive change in entropy (22.5 J/K) suggests an increase in disorder, which is expected when a nonpolar compound is introduced to a polar solvent like water.

To calculate the temperature of solution, we can use the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibb's free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy. Rearranging this equation to solve for T, we get T = (ΔH - ΔG)/ΔS.

Substituting the given values, we get T = (2.7 kJ/mol - 3.85 kJ/mol)/22.5 J/K = -0.051 K. However, this result is not physically meaningful as temperature cannot be negative. It is possible that there was an error in the given values or in the calculations. Without further information, it is difficult to determine the correct answer to this question.

I would suggest double-checking the given values and units and providing more context for the question. I would also recommend reviewing the calculations and equations used to ensure accuracy.

Related to When carring the nonpolar compound

1. What is a nonpolar compound?

A nonpolar compound is a molecule that has an equal distribution of electrons, resulting in a neutral charge and no separation of positive and negative poles.

2. How does a nonpolar compound differ from a polar compound?

A polar compound has an uneven distribution of electrons, resulting in a partial positive and partial negative charge. This creates a dipole moment and makes the molecule polar, whereas nonpolar compounds have no dipole moment.

3. How does a nonpolar compound interact with other molecules?

Nonpolar compounds tend to interact with other nonpolar molecules through weak intermolecular forces, such as London dispersion forces. They do not interact with polar molecules through hydrogen bonding or other stronger intermolecular forces.

4. Why is it important to consider the polarity of a compound?

The polarity of a compound affects its physical and chemical properties, such as solubility, boiling point, and reactivity. It also determines how the compound will interact with other molecules, which is crucial in understanding its behavior and potential uses in various applications.

5. How can I determine if a compound is nonpolar?

The best way to determine if a compound is nonpolar is to analyze its molecular structure and the electronegativity values of its atoms. If the molecule has an equal distribution of electrons and no polar covalent bonds, it is likely nonpolar. Also, nonpolar compounds tend to be hydrophobic and insoluble in water.