When does Computer science get interesting?

In summary: A computer science major does not necessarily mean that the topics are more interesting, it could just mean that the student is more interested in those topics. It is possible to have a degree in computer science and not be particularly interested in the theoretical aspects of the field.
TheKracken
So a year ago I tried an accelerated paced computer science course when I had no experience programming and I ended up hating it and dropping due to never understanding what was going on. Now I finally decided to take a intro to programming class that is pretty cool, but still no where near as interesting as mathematics.

Next semester I think I will be retaking the accelerated paced course now that I have some background and a discrete math course. Then next year I can take the next programming course called discrete structured programming and then I will be able to transfer.

Does a computer science major get much more interesting? I am thinking more along the lines of my discrete math course that included set theory, analytic logic, proofs, counting principle, algorithms and combinatorics.

If not then I will most likely just stick with my math major and hope employment falls in my lap :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of a CS course named "discrete structured programming", and a Google search didn't turn up anything, either. Can you give us a link to a page with the course description (or copy-n-paste it if you don't want us to know where you are)?

That is what the professor called it. The actual name is
CIS 233 - Fund Comp Sci III
Introduces advanced concepts including: theory, generic programming implementation, applications, and analysis of associated algorithms including lists, stacks, queues, hash tables, trees, and graphs. Recursion, iteration, searching, and sorting algorithms and analysis. Prerequisite: CIS 232 Corequisite: CIS 241 Transfer: CSU; UC (For UC, both CIS 232 and 233 must be completed in order to receive transfer units). Materials fee $5.00. (Formerly CIS33)

That looks like a standard second semester CS course. It was about the last month of mine when we started trees and graphs, that I finally started to find CS interesting.

OK, so it's basically a data structures and algorithms course. I consider that stuff to be pretty interesting in general, myself. There's potentially a lot of theory involved in analyzing and comparing the effectiveness of different data structures or algorithms. Some courses focus more on the practical applications and writing programs that use this stuff. Other courses focus more on the theory and use programs mainly as "illustrations".

So a year ago I tried an accelerated paced computer science course when I had no experience programming and I ended up hating it and dropping due to never understanding what was going on. Now I finally decided to take a intro to programming class that is pretty cool, but still no where near as interesting as mathematics.

Ha. Told you it's not that bad. The divisions between different fields are somewhat arbitrary. Programming can be pretty different from math, but there's no clear cut boundary between math and computer science (and programming != computer science).

Does a computer science major get much more interesting? I am thinking more along the lines of my discrete math course that included set theory, analytic logic, proofs, counting principle, algorithms and combinatorics.

Graphics, artificial intelligence, algorithms. Theory of computation is interesting. What's even more cool is that it has applications to hardware and compiler construction. Compiler construction sounds boring on the face of it, and there are aspects of it that aren't that appealing (not that I'm an expert, but I've looked into it a little bit), but it's cool that it puts the theory to work. I think the major might be interesting enough, but the thing you might have to worry about is that you might not think that a lot of the jobs are that interesting. Although, if you luck out, there are some jobs where you can put more of the theory to work and/or use more math. But that's a problem with anything. Not everyone gets to do the cool stuff. It's competitive.
If not then I will most likely just stick with my math major and hope employment falls in my lap

Don't hope it falls into your lap. Get an internship, network, informational interviews, job search books, etc.

esuna said:
I would encourage you to check out the topics under the theoretical computer science umbrella:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_computer_science
All of these topics were of high interest to me! But they seem heavily mathematical meaning that wouldn't it just be better to major in mathematics for these topics? A lot of courses in a undergraduate computer science degree look extremely boring ( ie. compiler design and operating systems courses.) Other courses like analysis of algorithims and computational complexity on the other hand are of MUCH interest to me.

homeomorphic said:
Ha. Told you it's not that bad. The divisions between different fields are somewhat arbitrary. Programming can be pretty different from math, but there's no clear cut boundary between math and computer science (and programming != computer science)..

You were right! While programming is still not what I want to do for my life. I can see some fun and creativity involved in it. I think what made me hate it last time was all the syntax in C that got in the way of me learning the actual concepts. The intro course is taught in python which is making things much easier to understand. Also, I see what you did there for the programming != computer science :P

Would my discrete math course be the most like what I would do in upper division courses then? Such as algorithm design and computational complexity? I intend to go to graduate school regardless of field I go into, but you (homeomorphic) have opened my eyes to the fact that I do NOT want to be unemployed or highly underemployed.

TheKracken said:
But they seem heavily mathematical meaning that wouldn't it just be better to major in mathematics for these topics?
Yes, I think you'd be better off majoring in mathematics and just take the upper division courses in CS that interest you if you can.

TheKracken said:
A lot of courses in a undergraduate computer science degree look extremely boring ( ie. compiler design and operating systems courses.) Other courses like analysis of algorithims and computational complexity on the other hand are of MUCH interest to me.
My thoughts exactly. Which is why I'm not majoring in straight CS, just going for a minor. I'm actually in an operating systems course this semester and it is indeed pretty boring. At least, they way my class is taught is pretty boring. It potentially could be a very interesting topic.

What is your main major Esuna?

Also to anyone and everyone who knows. Would it be practical to go from a math major to computer science graduate school? Or just about any other graduate school? If I were to do a Math major I would try for minors in computer science and physics so I have options to go CS or engineering for grad school. But I am just worried that it will not be enough. Id rather not stay at my CC for a total of 4 years before transfer. I am already on the three year path ( I had to start low on math and I am in calc 2 now)

TheKracken said:
What is your main major Esuna?
Next semester it will be math :)
TheKracken said:
Also to anyone and everyone who knows. Would it be practical to go from a math major to computer science graduate school?
It's practical. As long as you are aware of the requirements for admission to those programs and have the required undergraduate CS courses (likely from the minor).

Would my discrete math course be the most like what I would do in upper division courses then? Such as algorithm design and computational complexity?

There's some variation in how it's taught and what's covered, but there's some overlap. My algorithms course didn't involve programming--some of the implementation stuff was covered in my data structures course. The algorithms course wasn't super-rigorous, but it was essentially a math course, in some sense.

Related to When does Computer science get interesting?

1. When does computer science get interesting?

Computer science can become interesting at different times for different people. Some may find it interesting from the very beginning, while others may need to dive deeper into the subject to truly appreciate its complexities. Generally, computer science becomes more interesting as you start to understand the underlying concepts and their applications in real-world problems.

2. What makes computer science interesting?

Computer science is a constantly evolving field that offers endless opportunities for problem-solving and innovation. It combines elements of mathematics, logic, and creativity, allowing individuals to explore and create in a unique way. The ability to create something from scratch and see it come to life through coding can be incredibly rewarding and is what makes computer science interesting for many people.

3. Is computer science only for people who are good at math?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding some concepts in computer science, it is not a requirement to excel in the field. Many aspects of computer science, such as programming and algorithm design, do involve some math, but there are also plenty of areas that do not require advanced math skills. With practice and dedication, anyone can learn and excel in computer science, regardless of their math abilities.

4. How can I make computer science more interesting for myself?

There are many ways to make computer science more interesting for yourself. One approach is to explore different areas within the field, such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, or data science, to find what interests you the most. Another way is to work on personal projects or participate in coding challenges to apply your knowledge and see the results firsthand. Additionally, joining online communities or attending events and conferences can expose you to new ideas and perspectives, making computer science more engaging.

5. Is computer science always interesting or are there boring parts?

While computer science can be fascinating, it also has its share of less exciting aspects. Learning the fundamentals and building a strong foundation can be tedious at times, and debugging code can be frustrating. However, these less interesting moments are necessary for growth and progress in the field. Ultimately, the opportunity to create and innovate in computer science makes it an exciting and rewarding discipline overall.