When Does Such a Short Exact Sequence Exist?

In summary, the proposition states that if a submodule of a finitely generated module over a PID is not free, then the module is free.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
$\newcommand{\Z}{\mathbb Z}$.
Question:
Let $m$ and $n$ be positive integers. What are all the abelian groups $A$ such that there is a short exact sequence $0\to \mathbb Z/p^m\mathbb Z\to A\to \mathbb Z/p^n\mathbb Z\to 0$.

It is clear that any such abelian group $A$ has cardinality $p^{m+n}$. Thus by Fundamental Theore of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups we have $A\cong \Z/p^{k_1}\Z\oplus \cdots\oplus \Z/p^{k_r}\Z$ for some $k_1\leq \cdots \leq k_r$. Also, since $A$ contains a copy of $\Z/p^m\Z$, a cyclic group of order $m$, we must have $k_r\geq m$. I am unable to see what to do next.

Also, I am particularly interested in the solution given here in the form of Proposition 0.1 on pg 2 :http://www.math.ku.dk/~moller/f03/algtop/opg/S2.1.pdf
On the first line of the solution it uses a notion of "pull-back" which I do not understand. Can somebody shed some light on this solution?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaffeinMachine,
I read the proposition and proof in your link. The following contains an alternate proof and some discussion of the "pull back" idea.

30w7azm.png

m78ajp.png

263kcj7.png

johng said:
CaffeinMachine,
I read the proposition and proof in your link. The following contains an alternate proof and some discussion of the "pull back" idea.

Hello johng,

Sorry for the late reply. I am not getting much time because of the courses I am doing.

I have one question.

I do not understand the part where you said that $\ker$ is a free abelian group. Before that I understand everything. Can you please elaborate on that point.

Thanks.

CaffeineMachine,
I don't understand the source of your misunderstanding. The fundamental theorem on finitely generated abelian groups says (among other things) that such a group is the direct sum of a finite group and a free abelian group. Presumably you followed why ker has no elements of finite order. So ??

johng said:
CaffeineMachine,
I don't understand the source of your misunderstanding. The fundamental theorem on finitely generated abelian groups says (among other things) that such a group is the direct sum of a finite group and a free abelian group. Presumably you followed why ker has no elements of finite order. So ??
I thought about it for some time. I have the following proposition:

Hypothesis: Let $M$ be a finitely generated module over a PID $R$ (in our case it is $\mathbb Z$). So we can write $M=M^{\text{tor}}\oplus F$, where $M^{\text{tor}}$ is the torsion submodule of $M$ and $F$ is any maximal free submodule of $F$. Let $N$ be a submodule of $M$. We know that $N$ is also a finitely generated module over $R$ and $N=N^{\text{tor}}\oplus F'$ (where $F'$ is a maximal free submodule of $N$).

Proposition: If $N\cap M^{\text{tor}}=0$, then $N$ is free.
Proof: Suppose $N$ is not free. Then $N^{\text{tor}}\neq 0$. But any nonzero member of $N^{\text{tor}}$ is also in $M^{\text{tor}}$ and we have $M^{\text{tor}}\cap N\neq 0$, contradicting our assumption. Thus $N$ is free.

Is the above alright. Also, we can use this to settle that $\ker$ is free. Also, we do not need the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups if the above argument is correct, for the decomposition $M=M^{\text{tor}}\oplus F$ can be proved to hold by an elementary reasoning.

I agree with everything you said in your last post. Basically, the fundamental theorem on finitely generated abelian groups is just a special case of the general proposition on finitely generated modules over a PID. If you are now happy, so am I.

johng said:
I agree with everything you said in your last post. Basically, the fundamental theorem on finitely generated abelian groups is just a special case of the general proposition on finitely generated modules over a PID. If you are now happy, so am I.
I think I understand your proof now. My vote for next MHB algebra award has been sealed.

caffeinemachine said:
I think I understand your proof now. My vote for next MHB algebra award has been sealed.

johng always writes impeccably clean expositions. Your vote would be well-deserved.

Related to When Does Such a Short Exact Sequence Exist?

1. What is an exact sequence in mathematics?

An exact sequence in mathematics is a sequence of mathematical objects connected by homomorphisms (structure-preserving maps) such that the image of one object is equal to the kernel of the next map in the sequence. This ensures that every element in the sequence has a unique pre-image and the sequence is "exact" or "perfect".

2. How do you determine if a short exact sequence exists?

To determine if a short exact sequence exists, you must check if the image of one object is equal to the kernel of the next object in the sequence. This can be done by examining the maps between the objects and verifying that they satisfy the conditions for an exact sequence.

3. What is the importance of short exact sequences in mathematics?

Short exact sequences are important in mathematics because they provide a way to understand the relations between different mathematical objects. They also allow for the study of structures through their exact sequence, making it easier to prove theorems and make connections between different concepts.

4. Can a short exact sequence have more than three objects?

Yes, a short exact sequence can have any number of objects, but it is typically referred to as "short" because it only has a few objects compared to longer exact sequences. The length of an exact sequence is determined by the number of objects in the sequence.

5. How are short exact sequences used in other fields of science?

Short exact sequences are used in various fields of science, such as physics, computer science, and biology. In physics, they are used to study systems with multiple states, while in computer science, they are used for data processing and encryption. In biology, they are used to analyze genetic sequences and study the relationships between different species.