When does the bead fly off the rod?

• Thread starter Adoniram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bead Rod
In summary, the problem involves a rod rotating with an angular velocity ω and a bead starting at position r(0)=L/2 with initial velocity of 0. The goal is to find the position function for the bead, r(t), and the time it takes for the bead to fly off the end of the rod. The solution involves finding the velocity and acceleration of the bead, applying the second law, and solving the differential equation. Using polar coordinates is effective and there is no need to express r as a function of angle. The solution given, ##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(ω/m)t}## or ##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(2ω
Adoniram

Homework Statement

A rod of length L is fixed at one end, and rotates in the X-Y plane with angular velocity ω. (To be clear, it is sweeping out an area of ##π (L/2)^{2}##.) A bead starts at position ##r(0)=L/2## with ##\dot{r}(0)=0##. Find ##r(t)## and the time it takes for the bead to fly off the end of the rod.

Homework Equations

##F=ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wanted to find an expression for the velocity of the bead in general:
##v(t)=\dot{r}\hat{r}+rω\hat{φ}##

Then I find the acceleration of such a situation:
##a(t)=(\ddot{r}-ω^{2}r)\hat{r}+(2ω\dot{r})\hat{φ}##

Then I need to apply the 2nd law and solve the diff eq. My question at this point is: Is this problem readily solvable in this coordinate system, or do I need to switch to something else like ##r(φ)## first?

I've played with a few attempts, and my best guess right now is:
##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(ω/m)t}##
or
##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(2ω/m)t}##

(and of course the position is just the integral of that)

But I'm not really confident on that answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Adoniram said:

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wanted to find an expression for the velocity of the bead in general:
##v(t)=\dot{r}\hat{r}+rω\hat{φ}##

Then I find the acceleration of such a situation:
##a(t)=(\ddot{r}-ω^{2}r)\hat{r}+(2ω\dot{r})\hat{φ}##

Then I need to apply the 2nd law and solve the diff eq.
OK

My question at this point is: Is this problem readily solvable in this coordinate system, or do I need to switch to something else like ##r(φ)## first?
Using polar coordinates is good. No, you do not need to express r as a function of angle.

I've played with a few attempts, and my best guess right now is:
##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(ω/m)t}##
or
##\dot{r}(t)=(L/2)e^{(2ω/m)t}##

This solution does not satisfy ##\dot{r}(0)=0##. Also, the argument of the exponential should be dimensionless.

Can you state the differential equation that you need to solve?

Related to When does the bead fly off the rod?

1. What is the scientific explanation for why the bead flies off the rod?

The bead flies off the rod due to a combination of centripetal force and gravity. As the rod spins, the centripetal force causes the bead to move towards the outer edge of the rod. Once the force of gravity overcomes the centripetal force, the bead is no longer able to stay on the rod and flies off.

2. Does the weight of the bead or the length of the rod affect when the bead will fly off?

Yes, both the weight of the bead and the length of the rod can affect when the bead will fly off. A heavier bead will require more centripetal force to keep it on the rod, while a longer rod will have a greater velocity and therefore require more centripetal force to keep the bead on.

3. Is there a specific speed at which the bead will fly off the rod?

Yes, the speed at which the bead will fly off the rod is determined by the centripetal force and the force of gravity. Once the centripetal force is no longer strong enough to keep the bead on the rod, it will fly off at a speed determined by the force of gravity.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect when the bead will fly off the rod?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect when the bead will fly off the rod. These include the angle at which the rod is held, the surface friction between the bead and the rod, and the air resistance on the bead as it spins.

5. Can the bead fly off the rod at any point during its rotation?

No, the bead will only fly off the rod once the force of gravity overcomes the centripetal force. This usually occurs when the bead is at the top of its rotation, as the force of gravity is strongest in this position. However, if the centripetal force is strong enough, the bead may be able to stay on the rod even at the top of its rotation.