When does the collision occur and at what height?

In summary, the problem involves a ball and an arrow with different initial velocities and heights. The first part asks for the time and height at which they collide assuming no air resistance, while the second part considers a constant air drag force. The solution involves solving a quadratic equation with the given equations and variables.
hannam

Homework Statement

a ball makes a free-fall with zero initial
velocity and an arrow with 25 m/s initial velocity is thrown to shoot
this ball at the same time. The ball is initially h=38 m higher than the
arrow.
a) Assume no drag force then how long after does this collision occur?
At what height below ball’s initial position does this collision occur?
b) Assume a constant air drag force at any time instant, which is equal
to Drag Force= 2.2 m where m is the mass of object. For this case,
repeat part a). Take g=9.8 m/s2 for both parts of this and other
questions.

Homework Equations

m.g-2,2m=m.a
h=vo.t+1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

problem is in b part, i solved a.
mg-2,2m=m.a
a=7,6
h=1/2at^2 =3,8t^2

38-3,8t^2= 25.t -1/2.9,8.t^2
there is an quadratic equation now and i think i should have used another formula, I'm not sure. I appreciate your help :)

Attachments

• Ads?z.png
    Ads?z.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
The quadratic is OK but you forgot to include the air resistance drag force on the arrow.

i couldn't decide whether or not to include drag force on the arrow.because, in the question it says "Drag Force= 2.2 m where m is the mass of object" there is no information about the arrow

Balls and arrows are both objects, as I see it..

ok i tried that one too but i still have quadratic. how can i find t?

Use quadratic equation, you know, if at^2 +bt + c = 0, then t = [-b +/- sq rt (b^2- 4ac)]/2a?

Related to When does the collision occur and at what height?

1. What is drag force and how does it affect collisions?

Drag force is a type of frictional force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through a fluid, such as air or water. In collisions, drag force can slow down or stop the movement of an object by converting its kinetic energy into heat energy.

2. How is drag force calculated in collisions?

The magnitude of drag force in collisions can be calculated using the equation Fd = ½ρv2CdA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. Can drag force be minimized in collisions?

Yes, drag force can be minimized in collisions by reducing the velocity or surface area of the object, or by altering the shape of the object to decrease its drag coefficient. This can help reduce the impact and damage caused by collisions.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect drag force in collisions?

The higher the density of the fluid, the greater the drag force will be in collisions. This is because denser fluids require more force to move through, resulting in more resistance and friction on the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of drag force and collisions?

Drag force and collisions have many practical applications, such as in designing vehicles and structures that can withstand impact and resist drag forces. They are also important factors in sports, such as aerodynamics in racing or the physics of a golf swing.