When is the total C-parity of two particles the product?

A and B are their own antiparticlesIn summary, when finding the total charge parity of a system ##C_{AB}## composed of particles A and B, it is allowed to say ##C_{AB}=C_{A}.C_{B}## if and only if A and B are their own antiparticles. This holds true even when the system has a relative angular momentum. Otherwise, the action of charge conjugation may change the eigenstate and make the concept of "eigenvalues" unclear.
Coffee_
Let's say I have two particles A and B and I want to find the total charge parity of the system ##C_{AB}##. In what cases is it allowed to say ##C_{AB}=C_{A}.C_{B}##?

I suspect that if A and B are their own antiparticles, then that is OK.

Is this even the case when the system has a relative angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coffee_ said:
I suspect that if A and B are their own antiparticles, then that is OK.
A and B must be their own antiparticles in order for C[A] and C[ B] to make sense... otherwise the action of charge conjugation will change your eigenstate and so "eigenvalues" won't make much sense...

Coffee_ said:
Is this even the case when the system has a relative angular momentum?
yes it is

FAQ: When is the total C-parity of two particles the product?

1. What is total C-parity?

Total C-parity is a quantum number that describes the behavior of a system under charge conjugation (C), which is a transformation that swaps all particles with their corresponding antiparticles. It is given by the product of the individual C-parities of all particles in the system.

2. How is the total C-parity of two particles calculated?

The total C-parity of two particles is calculated by multiplying the individual C-parities of each particle. For example, if one particle has a C-parity of +1 and the other has a C-parity of -1, the total C-parity would be -1.

3. What does it mean when the total C-parity of two particles is the product?

When the total C-parity of two particles is the product, it means that the system is invariant under charge conjugation. This can have important implications in particle interactions and decays.

4. Can the total C-parity of two particles change?

In general, the total C-parity of two particles is conserved, meaning it does not change. However, in certain interactions, such as weak interactions, the total C-parity may change due to the involvement of the weak force.

5. Why is the total C-parity important in particle physics?

The total C-parity is important in particle physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is also used to classify particles and can provide insights into the fundamental symmetries of the universe.