When KE is a function of position

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of the Lagrangian and the dependence of kinetic energy on generalized coordinates. The example of a particle moving in two-dimensional space using polar coordinates is used to illustrate that kinetic energy is not only a function of the first time derivative of the parameters, but also the parameters themselves. The goal of keeping the formulation as general as possible is also mentioned.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Question about the Lagrangian
Hi all

In the Lagrangian, we have L = KE - PE

In most cases, I have seen KE as a function of q and q-dot (using the generic symbols).

However I first learned how KE = 0.5 m * v-squared.

Later, I used generalized coordinates and THAT is when KE became a function of q.

I get all that. However, I am still wondering WHY I have the feeling that, in most cases, KE is only a function of the parameter's first time derivative and ONLY involves the parameter in certain cases.

Maybe what I am asking is: "why did they first formulate L(q, q-dot) = KE(q, q-dot) and PE(q)

(I get the P only a function of q, by the way. That is not an issue for me.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's perhaps easiest to see through an example; consider a particle moving in ##\mathbf{R}^2##, and let the generalised co-ordinates be plane polar co-ordinates ##q = (r,\theta)##. The kinetic energy is\begin{align*}
T(q, \dot{q}) = \dfrac{1}{2} \dot{r}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2} r^2 \dot{\theta}^2
\end{align*}Not only does ##T## depend on ##\dot{r}## and ##\dot{\theta}##, but it also depends on ##r##. In the general case, the kinetic energy is a quadratic form whose coefficients ##a_{ij}(q)## depend on the co-ordinates,\begin{align*}
T(q,\dot{q}) = \dfrac{1}{2} a_{ij}(q) \dot{q}^i \dot{q}^j
\end{align*}where summation over repeated indices is implicit. For the previous example, ##a_{rr}(q) = 1## and ##a_{\theta \theta}(q) = r^2##, whilst the mixed coefficients are zero.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Oh... yes Now I see. That was obvious.

Then can you say that tried to keep the form as general as possible? Is that it?

Thank you.

Related to When KE is a function of position

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and position?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. When KE is a function of position, it means that the amount of kinetic energy an object has is dependent on its position in space.

2. How does the position affect the kinetic energy of an object?

The position of an object directly affects its kinetic energy because the object's motion and speed are influenced by its position. For example, an object at the top of a hill has more potential energy than an object at the bottom, and as it rolls down the hill, its kinetic energy increases.

3. Can kinetic energy be a function of both position and time?

Yes, in some cases, kinetic energy can be a function of both position and time. This is often seen in systems with changing velocities, such as a swinging pendulum or a moving car.

4. How is kinetic energy related to potential energy when it is a function of position?

When KE is a function of position, it is often related to potential energy. This is because potential energy is the stored energy an object has based on its position, and as the object moves, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. Can kinetic energy be negative when it is a function of position?

Yes, kinetic energy can be negative when it is a function of position. This can happen when an object is moving in the opposite direction of a force or when its velocity decreases due to friction or other external factors.