When should I be converting to units?

• Thread starter silverdiesel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses converting units before or after multiplication. The correct conversion for square meters and square centimeters is explained, along with an example of converting (20cm)2 to square meters. It is concluded that a square meter is not equal to 100 square centimeters, but rather 10000 square centimeters.
silverdiesel
I am new to the forum, and I am sure it will be evident by this first question, but I hope to learn a lot here.

so.. here is what I was thinking about that prompted me to look for a math forum. Say I have (20cm)2. That would be 400 square centimeters, or, 4 square meters? Now, what if I convert to meters before squaring? Then, I have (0.2 m)2, or .04 square meters... 4 square centimeters? Why does this not work? When should I be converting to units? Before or after multiplication.

Thanks for any input.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is because you are making wrong analogies. You need to start with definitions you know for sure. As defined, you have:

100cm = 1 meter.
If you have 0.2 meters, how many cm do you have?

Now squaring both sides you have:

10000cm^2 = 1 meter^2.

If 1 square meter is 10000 square cm, then how many square cm is 0.04 square meters?

silverdiesel said:
I am new to the forum, and I am sure it will be evident by this first question, but I hope to learn a lot here.
so.. here is what I was thinking about that prompted me to look for a math forum. Say I have (20cm)2. That would be 400 square centimeters, or, 4 square meters? Now, what if I convert to meters before squaring? Then, I have (0.2 m)2, or .04 square meters... 4 square centimeters? Why does this not work? When should I be converting to units? Before or after multiplication.
Thanks for any input.

A meter is 100 cm but a square meter is not 100 square cm! In fact, a square meter is (100)2= 10000 square cm.

(20 cm)2= 400 square cm = 400/10000= 0.04 square meters, exactly as if you had squared (0.2 m)2= 0.04 square meters.

Ah, perfect. I knew there was somthing very simple I was missing.
Thank you.:-p

Related to When should I be converting to units?

1. When should I convert to units?

The answer to this question depends on the specific context and purpose of your scientific work. However, a general rule is to convert to units as early as possible in your calculations and experiments. This ensures accuracy and consistency in your data and results.

2. Why is it important to convert to units?

Units are essential in science as they provide a standardized way to measure and compare quantities. Without units, it would be challenging to interpret and communicate data accurately. Converting to units also allows for easy comparison and replication of experiments.

3. How do I know which units to convert to?

The units you convert to should be determined by the type of measurement or quantity you are working with. It is crucial to use the appropriate units for the specific property being measured. For example, length is typically measured in meters, while time is measured in seconds.

4. Can I convert to any unit I want?

No, it is not advisable to convert to arbitrary units. It is essential to use established and accepted units in the scientific community to ensure consistency and accuracy in your work. Converting to arbitrary units can lead to errors and difficulty in comparing your results with others.

5. Do I need to convert to units if I am using a computer program for calculations?

Yes, even if you are using a computer program for calculations, it is still necessary to convert to units. The program will only provide accurate results if the correct units are used in the input. Additionally, converting to units allows for better understanding and interpretation of the results generated by the program.