When Should the Spaceship's Engines Be Turned Off?

In summary, the position function of a spaceship is given by r(t) = (3+t)i + (2+ln t)j + (7 - 4/(t^2+1))k and the coordinates of the space station are (6,4,9). To determine when to turn off the engines for the spaceship to coast into the space station, the velocity vector (r') and the vector from r(t) to the space station need to be parallel. This means that <3-t, 2-ln t, 2+4/t^2+1> must be a multiple of <i, 1/tj, 8t/(t^2+1)^2k>. To solve for this
bodensee9

Homework Statement

The position function of a spaceship is

r(t) = (3+t)i + (2+ln t)j + (7 - 4/(t^2+1)k and the coordinates of the space station are (6,4,9). If the spaceship were to "coast" into the space station, when should the engines be turned off?

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are r' = velocity, and r'' = acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure how to go about solving this problem. So, this means that r" is zero but then there is still velocity? So, if r' is i + 1/tj + 8t/(t^2+1)^2k. r" = -1/t^2 + (8(t^2+1)^4 - 16t^2(t^2+1))/(t^2+1)^4. But then I am not sure what to do after that. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:

Homework Statement

The position function of a spaceship is

r(t) = (3+t)i + (2+ln t)j + (7 - 4/(t^2+1)k and the coordinates of the space station are (6,4,9). If the spaceship were to "coast" into the space station, when should the engines be turned off?
Am I correct that that r(t) is the position of the spacecraft with the engines on? And with the engines off it will continue in that direction?

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are r' = velocity, and r'' = acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure how to go about solving this problem. So, this means that r" is zero but then there is still velocity? So, if r' is i + 1/tj + 8t/(t^2+1)^2k. r" = -1/t^2 + (8(t^2+1)^4 - 16t^2(t^2+1))/(t^2+1)^4. But then I am not sure what to do after that. Thanks!

Yes, with the engines turned of the spaceship will still have non zero velocity. Look at the velocity vector for each t (the derivative of r) as well as the vector from r(t) directly to the space station. When those vectors are parallel, turn off the engines will cause the spaceship to continue to the space station.

So do you mean that if the vector formed by subtracting r(t) from (6,4,9) needs to be parallel to r'? So this means that <3-t, 2-ln t, 2+4/t^2+1> needs to be a multiple of <i, 1/tj, 8t/(t^2+1)^2k?

But how do you go about solving for that, because you have 3-t must be a multiple of i, and 2-ln t must be a multiple of 1/t? So does that mean you try to make ln t go away? Thanks.

FAQ: When Should the Spaceship's Engines Be Turned Off?

1. What is a position vector problem?

A position vector problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the position of an object in a given coordinate system. It typically involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you solve a position vector problem?

To solve a position vector problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as the coordinates of the object and the direction of its movement. Then, you can use vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, to determine the final position of the object.

3. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the current location of an object in a given coordinate system, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object from its initial location to its final location. In other words, a position vector is a fixed quantity, while a displacement vector is a relative quantity.

4. How do you represent a position vector?

A position vector is typically represented using boldface lowercase letters, such as r, with an arrow above it to indicate its direction. It can also be represented using its components, which are the x, y, and z coordinates of the object's position.

5. What real-world applications use position vector problems?

Position vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the displacement of a moving object, or the position of a satellite in space.

Back