When someone says I'm a Math Major , does that mean she is a student or

In summary: Why?? Why????In summary, when someone says "I'm a Math Major" it typically means that they are a current student majoring in mathematics. If they have already graduated, they would say "I majored in mathematics" or "I was a math major". If you have already graduated and want to casually introduce yourself, you could say "My name is [name] and I have a degree in math". However, it may be best not to mention your math major outside of professional settings.
kaleidoscope
When someone says "I'm a Math Major", does that mean she is a student or...

When someone says "I'm a Math Major" does that mean she is a student or does it mean that she has already graduated? Is there a way to tell or is this an ambiguous term?

Physics news on Phys.org

Did you seriously create this thread?

..."I was a math major" would indicate she has completed her math major, "I am a math major" would indicate she is currently a student.

Good luck.

Yes, he seriously created this thread! The question is whether or not he created this thread seriously.

Seriously or not, a "math major" is a student majoring in mathematics. A person who has already graduated would say "I majored in mathematics" or "I was a math major".

Of course, the person who says "I was a math major" might have changed majors since or might never have graduated.

OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?

You have a degree in math!

kaleidoscope said:
OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?
Perhaps it is best not to let people know you majored in mathematics!

(Just joking- but I couldn't resist.)

kaleidoscope said:

"My name is kaleidoscope and I am a mathematician".

Oh, sorry, you meant how do you introduce yourself OUTSIDE of Mathematicians Anonymous meetings :rolleyes:

Related to When someone says I'm a Math Major , does that mean she is a student or

1. When someone says "I'm a Math Major", does that mean she is a student?

Yes, typically when someone says they are a Math Major, it means that they are a student studying mathematics at a college or university.

2. What is a Math Major?

A Math Major is a student who is majoring in mathematics. This means that they are taking a majority of their courses in the field of mathematics and will graduate with a degree in mathematics.

3. Can someone be a Math Major and not be good at math?

It is possible for someone to major in mathematics and struggle with certain concepts or areas of math. However, to be successful as a Math Major, it is important to have a strong understanding and aptitude for math.

4. What kind of career can someone pursue with a Math Major?

A Math Major can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, computer science, and more. It can also serve as a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields like physics, engineering, or economics.

5. Are there different types of Math Majors?

Yes, there are different types of Math Majors, such as Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Mathematical Statistics. Each type focuses on different areas and applications of mathematics, but all require a strong understanding of mathematical principles and techniques.