When to add and cancel logarithms

• Thread starter A.J.710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with logarithms in their calculus class. They are asking for tactics to approach the problems and the response suggests looking up logarithm identities online.
A.J.710
I don't have a single homework question but a general one that will help me out tonight. I am taking calculus one college level and we are reviewing logarithms and I am really having trouble. I just don't understand how we are supposed to know where to add and cancel them.

It seems that at certain points in the math you just add a logarithm for it to cancel something out in a later time in the problem. This is really confusing me.

What are some good tactics to approach the problems when dealing with this type of math?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basic log identities. If you google "logarithm identities" there will be a nice wiki page and some good images. Just make sure you learn the identities and understand them.

FAQ: When to add and cancel logarithms

1. When should I add logarithms?

Logarithms should be added when you are trying to find the logarithm of a product. This is because the logarithmic property states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors.

2. Can I add logarithms with different bases?

No, you cannot add logarithms with different bases. Logarithms can only be added when they have the same base. If the logarithms have different bases, you will need to use the change of base formula to convert them to the same base before adding them.

3. When should I cancel logarithms?

Logarithms should be canceled when you are trying to find the logarithm of a quotient. This is because the logarithmic property states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms.

4. Can I cancel logarithms with different bases?

No, you cannot cancel logarithms with different bases. Logarithms can only be canceled when they have the same base. If the logarithms have different bases, you will need to use the change of base formula to convert them to the same base before canceling them.

5. Is it possible to add and cancel logarithms in the same equation?

Yes, it is possible to add and cancel logarithms in the same equation. This may be necessary if you have a complex expression involving products and quotients. You will need to use the logarithmic properties and change of base formula to simplify the expression and solve for the desired variable.