When to Use Maxima or Minima Equations in Thin-Film Interference?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the film thickness for both bright and dark fringes in a thin film using the equations 2L = (m + 0.5)(λ/n) and 2L = m(λ/n). The correct approach is to use the maxima equation with m values of 0 and 9, and then take the difference to get the answer of 1.89 E-6 m. This is because there are 10 fringes in total, so using m values of 0 to 9 accounts for all the fringes. The maxima equation is used for this type of problem.
VitaX

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6027/physicsch3569.png

Homework Equations

2L = (m + 0.5) (λ/n) for m = 0, 1, 2, ... (maxima - bright film in air)
2L = m(λ/n) for m = 0, 1, 2, ... (minima - dark film in air)

The Attempt at a Solution

Bright
2L = (10 + 0.5)(630E-9/1.5)
L = 2.205E-6 m

Dark
2L = 9(630E-9/1.5)
L = 1.89E-6 m

Is this the right approach? I was thinking the change in film thickness would be the difference between the two L values. But the book gives the answer as 1.89 E-6 m. Which is what I got for the Dark set of fringes. So was I supposed to negate the bright ones or did I use the wrong approach here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone told me to use the maxima equation with values of m being 0 and 9 and take the difference. I get the answer in the book then. But, how do you know when to use the maxima or minima equations for questions like this? I understand why we using 0 to 9 as the m values instead of 0 to 10, because 0-9 is 10 fringes. At least I think that's the reasoning behind it.

Related to When to Use Maxima or Minima Equations in Thin-Film Interference?

What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a light wave strikes a thin film of material, causing some of the light to be reflected and some to be transmitted. The reflected and transmitted light waves then interact with each other, resulting in constructive and destructive interference patterns.

What factors affect thin-film interference?

The thickness and refractive index of the thin film, as well as the angle of incidence and the wavelength of the incident light, all play a role in the interference patterns observed in thin films.

How is thin-film interference used in practical applications?

Thin-film interference is used in a variety of practical applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on lenses and windows, optical filters, and in the production of colorful iridescent films and coatings.

What is the difference between thin-film interference and Newton's rings?

Thin-film interference occurs when light waves reflect and transmit through a thin film, while Newton's rings are formed by the interference of light waves between a flat and curved surface, such as a lens and a glass plate.

How can thin-film interference be calculated?

Thin-film interference can be calculated using the formula for the path difference between the reflected and transmitted light waves, which is equal to the wavelength of the incident light multiplied by the difference in the refractive indices of the film and the surrounding medium, divided by the cosine of the angle of incidence.