When using stokes theorem to remove integrals

In summary, the continuity equation involves the interchange of time differentiation and integration, as well as the dropping of volume integrals. These actions are possible because the spatial coordinates are independent of time and the integrals are over the same arbitrary volume. The formal mathematical procedure involves taking a limit, but this is only necessary when the volume is approaching zero.
member 428835
hey pf!

i had a question. namely, in the continuity equation we see that [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\iiint_V \rho dV = -\iint_{S} \rho \vec{v} \cdot d\vec{S}[/tex] and we may use the divergence theorem to have: [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\iiint_V \rho dV = -\iiint_{V} \nabla \cdot \big( \rho \vec{v} \big) dV[/tex]
ultimately, we arrive at: [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\bigg( \rho \bigg) = -\nabla \cdot \big( \rho \vec{v} \big)[/tex]
my question is, at this point, how are we able to do the following two things:
1 interchange ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}## inside the volume integral?
2 drop the volume integrals entirely?

i should say that the volume is arbitrary, and from what i remember, we have to do something like ##\lim_{V \to 0}## but i don't know the formal, mathematical procedure here.

can someone please help me out?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some typical reasoning:
1. The spatial coordinates themselves are independent of time, so performing time differentiation before or after has no effect on the result (provided the integration is definite).
2. The integrals are over the same *arbitrary* volume. If they are equal then the integrands must indeed be equal. This follows naturally from the fundamental theorem of calculus for definite integration.

Last edited:
cwilkins said:
2. The integrals are over the same *arbitrary* volume. If they are equal then the integrands must indeed be equal. This follows naturally from the fundamental theorem of calculus for definite integration.
but why do we need to take a limit?

Related to When using stokes theorem to remove integrals

1. How does Stokes Theorem work?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical tool that relates a surface integral over a closed surface to a line integral around the boundary of that surface. It states that the surface integral of a vector field over a surface is equal to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the surface, with the direction of integration determined by the right-hand rule. This allows us to convert a difficult surface integral into an easier line integral.

2. What is the purpose of using Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is used to simplify calculations involving surface integrals. It allows us to convert a difficult surface integral into an easier line integral, making complex calculations more manageable. Additionally, it is a fundamental tool in the study of vector calculus and is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. When should I use Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem should be used when you need to evaluate a surface integral over a closed surface. It is particularly useful when the surface is difficult to parameterize or when the vector field is complicated. In these cases, using Stokes Theorem can make the calculation more efficient and accurate.

4. What are the prerequisites for using Stokes Theorem?

In order to use Stokes Theorem, you should have a strong understanding of vector calculus, including line integrals, surface integrals, and vector fields. You should also be familiar with the concept of a closed surface and how to parameterize it. Additionally, knowledge of the right-hand rule is essential for determining the direction of integration in the line integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has some limitations, as it can only be applied to closed surfaces and vector fields that are differentiable. Additionally, the surface and boundary must be orientable, meaning that they have a consistent direction of normal vectors. It also cannot be used to evaluate integrals over non-orientable surfaces, such as the Mobius strip. Finally, Stokes Theorem may not always provide the most efficient method for evaluating a surface integral, so it is important to consider alternative approaches as well.

Back