When will the object reach a vertical displacement of 5.0m?

In summary, the conversation discusses the projection of an object with an initial velocity of 3.0m/s and the calculation of vertical and horizontal displacements. The speaker suggests using kinematic equations to calculate the vertical displacement of 5.0m and mentions the importance of identifying the downward acceleration and initial velocity in the y direction as 'givens'. They also mention the need to consider significant figures when rounding for the correct answer.
alexparker
An object is projected horizontally with an initial velocity of 3.0m/s

A) When will the vertical displacement be 5.0m
B) What will the horizontal displacement be at this time

Have difficulty's with A

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider vertical components and then use the equations of motion.

You can use the kinematic equations in the vertical direction, once you know the value of the downward acceleration in the vertical y direction and the initial velocity in the y direction. Identify these values as 'givens', then which of the kinematic equations would you choose?

thanks
i was getting really close but not quite but i just realized that there is only one sig fig,
so when i round it i get the right answer

Related to When will the object reach a vertical displacement of 5.0m?

1. What is 2D motion in physics?

2D motion in physics refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented on a coordinate plane. This means that the object is moving both horizontally and vertically, and its position can be described by its x and y coordinates.

2. How is 2D motion different from 1D motion?

2D motion is different from 1D motion in that it involves movement in two dimensions, while 1D motion only involves movement in one dimension. This means that 2D motion takes into account both horizontal and vertical components of an object's movement, while 1D motion only considers movement along a single line.

3. What is the equation for calculating 2D motion?

The equation for calculating 2D motion is d = √(Δx² + Δy²), where d is the total displacement, Δx is the horizontal displacement, and Δy is the vertical displacement. This equation is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which calculates the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

4. How does gravity affect 2D motion?

Gravity affects 2D motion by constantly pulling objects towards the center of the earth. This means that objects in 2D motion will experience a vertical acceleration due to gravity, which can be calculated using the equation a = -9.8 m/s². This acceleration will cause the object's vertical velocity to increase or decrease depending on the direction of movement.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D motion?

Some real-life examples of 2D motion include the flight of an airplane, the motion of a rollercoaster, and the movement of a ball thrown in the air. These all involve both horizontal and vertical components of movement, which can be described using 2D motion equations and principles.

Back