When Will the Two Trains Collide?

In summary, the collision between the passenger train, traveling at 25.0 m/s, and the freight train, traveling at 15.0 m/s, will take place after approximately 22.5403 seconds. This is the most physically plausible solution, as the first collision between the trains is usually the last.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

The engineer of a passenger train traveling at 25.0 m/s sights a freight train whose caboose is 200 m ahead on the same track. The freight train is traveling at 15.0 m/s in the same direction as the passenger train. The engineer of the passenger train immediately applies the brakes, causing a constant acceleration of 0.100 m/s^2, while the freight train continues with constant speed. Take x=0 at the location of the front of the passenger train when the engineer applies the brakes.

Where will the collision take place?

Homework Equations

y=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

-b+- Sqrt(b^(2)-4ac)/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

yp-passanger train and yf=freight train

Yp=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)
yp=25m/s*t - 0.05m/s^(2)*t^(2)

Yf=yo + vo*t +1/2*a*t^(2)
yf=200m +15m/s*t

yp=yf

-0.05m/s^(2)*t^(2) + 10m/s*t -200m

I get t= 177.4596 seconds and t=22.5403 seconds

How do I know which time is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:

Homework Statement

The engineer of a passenger train traveling at 25.0 m/s sights a freight train whose caboose is 200 m ahead on the same track. The freight train is traveling at 15.0 m/s in the same direction as the passenger train. The engineer of the passenger train immediately applies the brakes, causing a constant acceleration of 0.100 m/s^2, while the freight train continues with constant speed. Take x=0 at the location of the front of the passenger train when the engineer applies the brakes.

Where will the collision take place?

Homework Equations

y=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

-b+- Sqrt(b^(2)-4ac)/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

yp-passanger train and yf=freight train

Yp=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)
yp=25m/s*t - 0.05m/s^(2)*t^(2)

Yf=yo + vo*t +1/2*a*t^(2)
yf=200m +15m/s*t

yp=yf

-0.05m/s^(2)*t^(2) + 10m/s*t -200m

I get t= 177.4596 seconds and t=22.5403 seconds

How do I know which time is correct?

I haven't checked your numbers. But sure you get two solutions. The later one assumes the trailing train survives the first collision and passes through the leading train and then collides again as the trailing train catches up with it again. Which do you think is the physically plausible one?

Dick said:
I haven't checked your numbers. But sure you get two solutions. The later one assumes the trailing train survives the first collision and passes through the leading train and then collides again as the trailing train catches up with it again. Which do you think is the physically plausible one?

The 22.5403 seconds one!

Toranc3 said:
The 22.5403 seconds one!

I'd agree with that. The first collision is usually the last.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'd agree with that. The first collision is usually the last.

Thank you!

Related to When Will the Two Trains Collide?

What is a collision in kinematics?

A collision in kinematics is an event where two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. This can result in changes in the objects' velocities or trajectories.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is one where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound, and momentum may also be lost.

How is the velocity of objects involved in a collision calculated?

The velocity of objects involved in a collision can be calculated by using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass of the object and v is the initial and final velocities.

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach.

What factors can affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of impact, and the coefficient of restitution. Other factors such as external forces and friction can also play a role in the collision.