When you give a number, what do you say?

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary: I'm from California, so no, I've never heard that. Highway 101 is usually pronounced "one hundred and one".

Do you say 'o' or 'zero'?

• o

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • zero

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
StevieTNZ
I was wondering how common this:

If you give a number, such as credit card or phone number, do find you say 'o' instead of zero? I find that I say 'o'.

I got this guy I know in Texas to do my cellphone voice message (people who hear it probably think that is me and I'm American and living in New Zealand); he said zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero is correct for a number. If the number used both alpha and numeric values (some accounts do that, although not credit cards) it would cause the wrong values to be taken.

Likes dlgoff
Evo said:
Zero is correct for a number.
Yes -- definitely. However, for some reason I say 'o'.

"O" is basically slang. I would expect most scientists, engineers and military would say zero (oddly, except when telling time).

Likes dlgoff
I use both depending on the situation and the numbers around the zero. For example, I usually say 820 as eight-two-zero, but 502 as five-oh-two. It's much easier to say "zero" right after "two" than it is after "five" because the positioning of my mouth and tongue after "five" makes it take take more time and effort. If I'm wanting to be clear, I'll slow down and say "zero" in both cases.

Likes Borg
Agent Double Zero Seven! Hmmm

256bits said:
?:)

russ_watters said:
"O" is basically slang. I would expect most scientists, engineers and military would say zero (oddly, except when telling time).
Yeah, that's odd I'd also say 10:02 as 10 O 2, but I assume that comes from the "of the clock" beginnings. you would say it's "ten of the clock", shortened to ten O' clock.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yeah, that's odd I'd also say 10:02 as 10 O 2, but I assume that comes from the "of the clock" beginnings. you would say it's "ten of the clock", shortened to ten O' clock.

Lies! Lies spread by the administration to suppress the truth! The truth that it's really "on the clock"!

(I really have no idea, I'm just tired)

Likes Evo
256bits said:

Actually in Polish we say "agent zero zero siedem".

But in general we never say "O" for a zero.

This is probably a regionalism somewhat as it's very common for people to say "o" in the UK.

Evo said:

I think telling time is the only time I use "O" instead of zero. In that context, it's not ambiguous.

I'll say "O" from now on since it sounds better than zero!

Borek said:
Actually in Polish we say "agent zero zero siedem".

But in general we never say "O" for a zero.
Polish predisposition/bias against using vowels?

In the UK I would say
  • 0 within a string of digits, usually pronounced "o", sometimes "zero"
  • 0 on its own, usually "zero", never "o", except...
    • subscript, as in [itex]x_0[/itex], usually "nought" (= "naught")
      • ...except [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] is "aleph null" for some reason
    • in football (soccer), 0 is "nil"
    • in tennis, 0 is "love"
    • in cricket, 0 is "a duck"
(And, of course, computer programmers may pronounce 0 as Ø, when they aren't celebrating Christmas at Halloween.)

Depends on the situation. In the Canadian military we said '0' when reading coordinates.

By the way it's zed eee ar o...not zee eee ar o

Likes nuuskur and epenguin
tom aaron said:
Depends on the situation. In the Canadian military we said '0' when reading coordinates.
I had the Impression that the use of 'oh' originated in the military, civilians used to say 'naught'. ?

Edit: naught? nought?

DrGreg said:
In the UK I would say
  • 0 within a string of digits, usually pronounced "o",
I say that too - in the UK.
Except when trying to converse with an Indian call centre. (Do you have those in the U.S. or Canada? - if you do you will know why I then say zero. :oldbiggrin:)

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I had the Impression that the use of 'oh' originated in the military, civilians used to say 'naught'. ?

Only if they were Old Timers, or Down Easters from Maine or someplace like that.

I say that too - in the UK.
Except when trying to converse with an Indian call centre. (Do you have those in the U.S. or Canada? - if you do you will know why I then say zero. :oldbiggrin:)

Our Indian call centers in the States are in India, where they belong. :wink: :biggrin:

Likes epenguin
lisab said:
I think telling time is the only time I use "O" instead of zero. In that context, it's not ambiguous.

How do you say highway 101? (you live in California, right?) Never heard anyone saying "one hundred and one" or "one zero one".

SteamKing said:
Only if they were Old Timers, or Down Easters from Maine or someplace like that.
Our Indian call centers in the States are in India, where they belong. :wink: :biggrin:

But in the Old Times everybody was an Old Timer.
Our Indian call centres in the UK are in India too but we have them in the UK, on the phone.

jobyts said:
How do you say highway 101? (you live in California, right?) Never heard anyone saying "one hundred and one" or "one zero one".
Ah, that's a good one. Odd that sometimes it's acceptable to use the letter O to mean the number zero.

Evo said:
Ah, that's a good one. Odd that sometimes it's acceptable to use the letter O to mean the number zero.
I live in area code "801" and "385", with 10 digit dialing. Of course with a phone number, it is a number, but eight-oh-one is what I say, and what everyone says.

Likewise, Zip-codes. I'm in eight-four-one-oh-three. Someone might be in nine-oh-two-one-oh (Beverly Hills 90210).

I think for clarity, I say "Zero". But if the context is clear, and certainly, with 10-digit dialing, it is 10 numbers ... I use "oh". My cell phone has two zeroes in a row, and I always say "zero zero four two" (numbers changed for paranoia). "Oh, Oh" would be less clear.

Likes Evo
Presently I say almost exclusively "zero," except for special exceptions like 007 or Highway 101.

But I grew up saying "o". I had to put some effort during my adolescence to ween myself off of saying "o" when I really meant zero.

My mom still says "o" and when I repeat a number back to her replacing the "o"s with "zero"s she gets confused.

StevieTNZ said:
I got this guy I know in Texas to do my cellphone voice message (people who hear it probably think that is me and I'm American and living in New Zealand); he said zero.

votingmachine said:
I live in area code "801" and "385", with 10 digit dialing. Of course with a phone number, it is a number, but eight-oh-one is what I say, and what everyone says.

It's ironic that phone numbers are brought up in this conversation, because that was my original, primary motivation for changing from "o" to "zero": In terms of phone numbers specifically, "o" is 6, not zero (look at your phone).

phone-keypad-picture-application.png

jobyts said:

Good point, I do say one-o-one. Or maybe I say one-oh!-one, who knows :biggrin:!

But I never say "the 101" as they do in SoCal.

Likewise, Zip-codes. I'm in eight-four-one-oh-three. Someone might be in nine-oh-two-one-oh (Beverly Hills 90210).
Doesn't make for a very catchy TV show title: "Beverly Hills nine zero two one zero."

It's ironic that phone numbers are brought up in this conversation, because that was my original, primary motivation for changing from "o" to "zero": In terms of phone numbers specifically, "o" is 6, not zero (look at your phone).
Didn't people used to have to hit the zero button to connect with the Operator?

Likes collinsmark and Silicon Waffle
leroyjenkens said:
Didn't people used to have to hit the zero button to connect with the Operator?
Oh, another good one!

Likes Silicon Waffle
24180071.gif

Source:
FM 24-18

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually say "zero", but I think I'm going to start saying "naught" as a social experiment.

Likes collinsmark
I am a country bumpkin and i all ways use ZERO as that is what is used in aviation language.

Evo said:
If the number used both alpha and numeric values (some accounts do that, although not credit cards) it would cause the wrong values to be taken.

Yeah, if I was in such a situation I would need to make sure I am conscious of the fact, and use o and zero appropriately.

I rang to leave a message for a my doctor to give me a call, and I said our home phone saying 'o'. The lady repeated it just how I said it.

Anyone know why the NATO phonetic pronunciation for the number 3 is "tree"? I can understand "niner" because it "nine" might sound like "five" over the radio, but I don't understand how "tree" would clear up any conflicts presented by "three".