When you heat a sheet, does it expand or compress?

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up for me.In summary, the angular location of the first-order interference minimum changes depending on the value of d.
Miguel Velasquez
If a sheet containing two very thin slits is heated (without damaging it), what happens to the angular location of the first-order interference minimum?

a) It moves toward the centerline.
b) It moves away from the centerline.
c) It doesn't change.Condition for m-order interference minimum dsinθ=(m+1/2)λGiven this condition, the first order condition its just m=1, thus dsinθ=3λ/2

so, the angular location is, θ = arcsin(3λ/2d)Heating the sheet should cause the sheet expand, this imply the value d (distance between slits) it should be reduced. Therefore, the value of θ it should be increased, which means the answer should be letter b) It moves away from the centerline.

However, the student i tried to help told me this is incorrect, the correct answer (he/she's not sure why) is letter a) It moves toward the centerline. But this doesn't make any sense for me, can anyone give me a clue about what am i missing? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the sheet with the slits is uniformly heated and not constrained in any way then the whole sheet will expand uniformly . This means that the slits get further apart and wider . The amount of movement though will be very small .

Likes James Ray and Miguel Velasquez
Your
Miguel Velasquez said:
If a sheet containing two very thin slits is heated (without damaging it), what happens to the angular location of the first-order interference minimum?

a) It moves toward the centerline.
b) It moves away from the centerline.
c) It doesn't change.Condition for m-order interference minimum dsinθ=(m+1/2)λGiven this condition, the first order condition its just m=1, thus dsinθ=3λ/2

so, the angular location is, θ = arcsin(3λ/2d)Heating the sheet should cause the sheet expand, this imply the value d (distance between slits) it should be reduced. Therefore, the value of θ it should be increased, which means the answer should be letter b) It moves away from the centerline.

However, the student i tried to help told me this is incorrect, the correct answer (he/she's not sure why) is letter a) It moves toward the centerline. But this doesn't make any sense for me, can anyone give me a clue about what am i missing? Thanks in advance.
Your argument seems reasonable.

What I don't fully understand is what the angular location of the first-order interference minimum is.

i think theta is the angle shown in the figure

doubsli.gif

source of figure: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/imgpho/doubsli.gif

Nidum said:
If the sheet with the slits is uniformly heated and not constrained in any way then the whole sheet will expand uniformly . This means that the slits get further apart and wider . The amount of movement though will be very small .
Oh now i can see where i am mistaken, the value of d is infact increasing when the sheet expand and not being reduced as i thought. This explains why the correct answer is letter a) it moves toward the centerline. When the value of d is increased, the argument of arcsin will be reduced. For some reason I've got confused about what happens to value "d" when the sheet is heated. This solves the problem. Thanks for the answer Nidum.

James Ray said:
Theta is normal to the centreline, if you define the centreline to be the axis parallel to the two sheets. Does that help answer your problem?
Thanks for reply my question James, problem is solved. Taking again a look at the figure you can notice the value of d actually increases when the sheet is being heated which would reduce the value of theta.

Related to When you heat a sheet, does it expand or compress?

1. Does heat cause a sheet to expand or compress?

Heat causes a sheet to expand due to the increased kinetic energy of the molecules, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. What factors affect the expansion or compression of a heated sheet?

The material of the sheet, its thickness, and the amount of heat applied all affect how much the sheet will expand or compress.

3. How much does a sheet expand or compress when heated?

The amount of expansion or compression depends on the material and size of the sheet, as well as the temperature change and other environmental factors.

4. Is the expansion or compression of a heated sheet reversible?

In most cases, yes, the expansion or compression of a heated sheet is reversible. Once the sheet cools down, it will return to its original size and shape.

5. Can a sheet be damaged by repeated heating and cooling cycles?

Yes, frequent and extreme changes in temperature can cause a sheet to weaken and eventually break. It is important to consider the material and temperature limits of the sheet when using it in heating and cooling processes.