Where Am I Going Wrong in Finding Radiation from an Oscillating Dipole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equation 1.39 to obtain E_theta and the need to evaluate the derivatives at the retarded time.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Dipole.png

2. Homework Equations [/B]

Given in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For part a I obtained an expression for the the dipole moment:

##P(t)= P_0 cos(wt)##

And therefore, for part b, I obtained the expressions

##\frac{dP}{dt} = -wP_0 sin(wt)## and ##\frac{d^2P}{dt^2} = -w^2P_0 cos(wt)##.

Now when I make use of Eq. 1.39 to obtain ##E_\theta## for part c), I substitute in the above expression for ##\frac{d^2P}{dt^2}##, but end up with the cos term being ##cos(wt)## from ##\frac{d^2P}{dt^2}## as opposed to ##cos(kr-wt)## which is required. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Eq. 1.39, the square brackets in the numerators denote a condition on the time at which you evaluate the quantities inside the brackets. Check your notes or text for details.

TSny said:
In Eq. 1.39, the square brackets in the numerators denote a condition on the time at which you evaluate the quantities inside the brackets. Check your notes or text for details.

Ah I believe that the derivatives must be evaluated at the retarded time, is that correct?

samjohnny said:
Ah I believe that the derivatives must be evaluated at the retarded time, is that correct?
Yes.

Likes samjohnny

Related to Where Am I Going Wrong in Finding Radiation from an Oscillating Dipole?

1. What is radiation from an oscillating dipole?

Radiation from an oscillating dipole refers to the electromagnetic waves that are emitted when an electric dipole is in motion. This motion of the dipole creates a changing electric field, which in turn generates a changing magnetic field. These changing fields then propagate as electromagnetic waves through space, carrying energy and information.

2. What causes an electric dipole to oscillate and emit radiation?

An electric dipole is formed when there is a separation of positive and negative charges within an object. When an external electric field is applied to the dipole, it experiences a torque that causes it to oscillate back and forth. This oscillation of the dipole results in the emission of radiation.

3. How is the radiation from an oscillating dipole characterized?

The radiation from an oscillating dipole is characterized by its frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. The frequency of the radiation is directly related to the frequency of the dipole's oscillation, while the wavelength is determined by the speed of light and the frequency. The amplitude of the radiation is proportional to the strength of the dipole's oscillation.

4. What are the applications of radiation from an oscillating dipole?

Radiation from an oscillating dipole has many practical applications, including in communication systems, such as radio and television broadcasting, as well as in wireless technologies like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and in various industrial and scientific equipment.

5. How does the radiation from an oscillating dipole interact with matter?

The interaction of radiation from an oscillating dipole with matter depends on the properties of the material. In general, materials that have a similar frequency to the radiation will absorb it, while materials with different frequencies will reflect or transmit it. This property is used in various applications, such as in the design of antennas and in spectroscopy to study the composition of materials.