Where and How to Practice and Test \LaTeX: Tips and Tools for Scientists

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about potentially adding a link to the mathjax \LaTeX preview page in Redbelly's tutorial sticky in the Feedback forum. The question of where and how to practice and test \LaTeX is a common one, and the suggestion is to update the tutorial to connect with the CDN. The update has been completed, and one of the participants is signing off for a week. There is some joking around about using rice or birdseed to throw, and someone hits another person in the face with something.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps it would be worth adding a link to the mathjax [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] preview page (https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html ) in Redbelly's tutorial sticky in the Feedback forum.

Where and how to practice and test [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is a fairly comment question in the feedback forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sure, go for it :)

I need to update it to connect with the CDN though.
Done!

And with that, I'm officially signed of for a week! Bye! :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Done!

And with that, I'm officially signed of for a week! Bye! :smile:
Oh!

<throws rice>

Have a wonderful time!

Evo said:
Oh!

<throws rice>

Have a wonderful time!

(Hits berke in the face because Hoot is long gone...) :-p

Pfffft! Hey, aren't we supposed to be using birdseed? o:)

Related to Where and How to Practice and Test \LaTeX: Tips and Tools for Scientists

What is [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]?

[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is a typesetting system commonly used in scientific and technical documentation. It allows users to create professional-looking documents with complex mathematical equations, figures, and tables.

Why should I use [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] for my scientific documents?

[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] offers precise control over document formatting and is particularly useful for documents with a lot of mathematical equations and symbols. It also allows for easy collaboration and version control.

How do I get started with [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]?

There are many online resources available for learning [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]. One popular option is to download a [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] distribution such as TeX Live or MiKTeX, and then use a text editor, such as TeXworks, to create and compile your documents. There are also many online tutorials and forums available for assistance.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include required packages, not properly closing brackets or parentheses, and not using the correct syntax for mathematical equations. It is also important to proofread your document for any spelling or grammatical errors.

How can I include images or graphics in my [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] document?

To include images or graphics in a [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] document, the graphicx package must be included in the preamble. Then, the \includegraphics command can be used to insert the image at the desired location in the document. It is important to ensure the image file is in the same directory as the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] file or provide the full file path.