Where are the PHYSICAL inputs to a control system?

In summary, the conversation is about a senior design project involving a control system for an inverted pendulum. The person is using a SIMULINK diagram and equations from Wikipedia to model the system, but is unsure of where to hook in a potentiometer to measure the angle of the pendulum. They suggest removing an integrator and connecting the output from the pot to that point. The conversation also mentions using an observer to estimate states, and the person recommends a book on the topic.
TheNoname
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, so please bare with me if my question doesn't come out right.

Homework Statement

So for my senior design class I am working with a control system that balances an inverted pendulum. Here is my SIMULINK diagram:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62748/Untitled.jpg

I am using a simple potentiometer to measure the angle of the pendulum, but my question is, where do I hook this into? The input that is currently there is a force. Like a disturbance on the cart.

Homework Equations

I used the following equations from wikipedia to model the system and I linearized them about θ = 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_pendulum#Pendulum_on_a_cart

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the bottom right integrator's output is the angle, my inclination is to take out that integrator and connect the output from the pot to where the output of the integrator used to be. Does that make sense?

I've tried asking my professor, but I don't think he understands my question and if I ask him any more times he might think I'm crazy lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure. I know my controls books has a section on estimating states and also estimating states when one or more state is known through measurement.

Oh okay. What is the name or ISBN number of the book? I think you are describing an observer but I want to look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to provide a response to your question. The physical inputs to a control system can vary depending on the specific system and its purpose. In your case, it seems that the physical input is a force acting on the cart. This force can be generated in various ways, such as through a motor or by manually pushing the cart.

In terms of your specific project, it is important to consider the purpose of the control system and what it is intended to achieve. In this case, it seems that the control system is meant to balance the inverted pendulum. Therefore, the physical input of the force is necessary to simulate disturbances that may affect the pendulum and test the effectiveness of the control system in maintaining its balance.

As for the potentiometer, it can be used to measure the angle of the pendulum and provide feedback to the control system. This feedback can be used to adjust the force input and improve the performance of the system. It is important to properly calibrate and connect the potentiometer to the system to ensure accurate measurements.

In conclusion, the physical inputs to a control system can vary depending on the system and its purpose. In your case, the force acting on the cart and the potentiometer measuring the angle of the pendulum are both important inputs for the control system to function effectively. I hope this helps clarify your question and provides some guidance for your project. Best of luck with your senior design class!

Related to Where are the PHYSICAL inputs to a control system?

1. What are physical inputs in a control system?

Physical inputs in a control system refer to the signals or data that are received by the system from external sensors or devices. These inputs are used by the control system to make decisions and adjust outputs accordingly.

2. Where do physical inputs come from in a control system?

Physical inputs can come from a variety of sources, depending on the specific control system. They may come from sensors that detect temperature, pressure, or other physical variables, or from manual inputs provided by an operator. They can also come from other electronic systems or devices that are connected to the control system.

3. How are physical inputs processed in a control system?

Physical inputs are processed in a control system through various steps. First, the input is received by the system and converted into a usable form, such as a digital signal. Then, the input is analyzed and compared to the desired or set value. Finally, the control system makes adjustments to the outputs based on the input and the desired outcome.

4. What is the role of physical inputs in a control system?

The role of physical inputs in a control system is to provide information and data that the system uses to make decisions and adjustments. Without physical inputs, the control system would not be able to respond to changes in the environment or to user inputs, and would not be able to function effectively.

5. How important are physical inputs in a control system?

Physical inputs are crucial in a control system as they are the primary source of information that the system uses to operate. Without accurate and timely physical inputs, the control system would not be able to effectively monitor and control the desired process or system. Therefore, physical inputs play a vital role in the overall performance and functionality of a control system.