Where can I find a free and safe download of BASIC for Windows 7?

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
In summary, there are several options for a nice, safe, free, downloadable version of BASIC for Windows 7. These include VB .NET, FreeBASIC, and QB64. Additionally, Python is recommended for its simplicity, compatibility, and wide range of support and resources. The Eclipse IDE with PyDev plugin can be used for debugging and other features.
snoopies622
So where can I find a nice, safe, free, downloadable version of BASIC for Windows 7?

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks guys, I'll check them both out.

BTW if all you're looking for is a really nice scripting language, you might consider python. All free, redistributable, very easy to learn like JavaScript or VB, runs on any of the main operating systems, very popular with tons of libraries, tons of examples and docs on the web, busy support forums, and excellent simple self-documenting syntax (yet similar to other standard languages). You can write anything from a simple clean script to a complicated object oriented program. I highly recommend it for novices and experts, alike. Its not at all wordy like java, nor is its style weird like scala (those are good languages but they aren't for the faint at heart). Once you get interested you can get the Eclipse IDE with the PyDev plugin to debug, etc.

Last edited:
snoopies622 said:
So where can I find a nice, safe, free, downloadable version of BASIC for Windows 7?

You can use QB64 for a 64 bit platform running windows:

http://www.qb64.net/

Thanks. Sorry I'm not responding more quickly. For some reason I'm not getting notices for this thread.

Related to Where can I find a free and safe download of BASIC for Windows 7?

1. What is BASIC and why is it important?

BASIC, which stands for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, is a high-level programming language that was developed in the 1960s. It is important because it was one of the first programming languages designed for beginners, making it accessible for non-experts to learn and use for various applications.

2. Where can I find a BASIC download?

There are several websites that offer BASIC downloads, such as SourceForge, GitHub, and Softpedia. It is important to make sure you are downloading from a reputable source to avoid any potential security risks.

3. Is BASIC still relevant today?

While BASIC is not as widely used as it once was, it is still relevant today in certain fields such as education and game development. Some modern programming languages, such as Visual Basic and Python, have roots in BASIC and still use similar syntax.

4. Can I use BASIC for any type of programming?

BASIC was originally designed for general-purpose programming, and can be used for a variety of applications such as data analysis, game development, and simple web programming. However, it may not be the best choice for more complex or specialized tasks that require specific programming languages.

5. Do I need any special software to run BASIC?

There are many different versions of BASIC, so the software needed to run it may vary. Some versions may require a specific compiler or interpreter, while others may be available as standalone programs. It is best to check the requirements for the specific BASIC download you are using.