Where Can I Find a High Quality Newton's Cradle?

• Thread starter astromajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a high quality Newton's cradle, with the person mentioning their prior experiences with cheap ones. They are willing to pay more for a better-made device and ask for recommendations. Another person shares a failed attempt at building a large Newton's cradle with construction wrecking balls and suggests sticking with small steel balls. Various sources are mentioned, including online stores and fun DIY projects. Finally, someone recommends a company that sells high quality, all-metal, and American-made giant Newton's cradles.
astromajor
As a future physics teacher I've been looking online for a good Newton's cradle. Unfortunately all the ones I come across are cheap and my prior experiences with them have obviously been of rather poor quality. I was wondering if anyone knows of any sources for high quality Newton Cradles; I'm certainly willing to pay more for a better-made device! Thanks for your time.

Likes nullsec
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where to buy a nice one, but your post reminds me of a Mythbusters show I saw a while back where they tried to build a gigantic Newton's cradle out of construction wrecking balls. Didn't work very well. Best to stick with small steel balls and forget the fancy designer cradles, otherwise it's hard to see how you could screw it up too badly unless it's due to the initial ball positioning.

Youtube video using something that looks like small bowling balls (you can also find a few full size bowling ball Newton's crade on youtube). This video was used in a previous thread on Newtons cradles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nullsec
Just found a company that sells a very high quality giant Newton's cradle in two sizes. They look very nice. All metal with aircraft cable so no plastic or fishing lines. And made in the USA. I'm going to order the giant one. Will give my feedback once I get it. The website is giantNewtonscradle.com .

Last edited:
Likes nullsec

FAQ: Where Can I Find a High Quality Newton's Cradle?

1. What is "High quality Newton's Cradle"?

"High quality Newton's Cradle" refers to a specific type of Newton's Cradle, which is a device that demonstrates the conservation of momentum and energy. This version is typically made with high-quality materials and precise construction for smoother and more accurate results.

2. How does "High quality Newton's Cradle" work?

The device consists of a series of suspended metal balls that are arranged in a horizontal line. When one ball on the end is pulled back and released, it strikes the next ball, causing it to move and transfer its energy to the next ball, and so on. This continues until the last ball on the opposite end is struck and moves, demonstrating the conservation of momentum and energy.

3. What makes "High quality Newton's Cradle" different from other versions?

As the name suggests, "High quality Newton's Cradle" is made with higher quality materials and precision in its construction. This results in smoother and more accurate movements of the balls, making it a better demonstration of the physics principles it represents.

4. What are the benefits of using "High quality Newton's Cradle" in education or research?

Due to its precision and accuracy, "High quality Newton's Cradle" can be used as a reliable model for experiments and demonstrations in physics education and research. It can also be used as a visual aid to help students understand the concepts of momentum and energy conservation.

5. Can "High quality Newton's Cradle" be used for other purposes?

While its primary purpose is to demonstrate physics principles, "High quality Newton's Cradle" can also be used as a desk toy or decorative piece. Its smooth and mesmerizing movements make it a popular item for stress relief or for adding a touch of elegance to a workspace or home.

Back