Where Can I Find a Map of Our Galaxy?

• Thread starter The Bob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary, does anyone know where I can get a map of our galaxy from? It needs to show the position of the more dominant features, if possible.
The Bob
Hey all,

I'm writing a piece of music for a competition in England and it requires a map of our galaxy. I've written off to NASA but I suspect I am not going to get any joy from them.

In short, does anyone know where I can get a map of our galaxy from? It needs to show the position of the more dominant features, if possible.

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. After this message I'm afraid I am away so I will not be able to check the PF until Sunday 8th July.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Having a map of our galaxy is like having a map of a beach that shows each sand grain - clearly impossible. Having the general shape of our 'beach' is possible. One spiral galaxy looks mostly like any other - seach for Hubble Images for some impresive photos.

The best looking 'map' of our part of the galaxy is a Milky Way panorama which shows a crab's eye view of our part of the 'beach'. See http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan_aitoff.html for such a photo.

Heya both,

Thanks for the links; some nice pictures. :biggrin:

Let me explain quickly why I need a 'map'. The idea of the composition is to travel around the milky way, starting in our solar system, working our way around and arriving back home in time for tea. I want a map so that I can get images of specific bodies or areas in our galaxy and ensure that I'm going around in a feasible direction (sad as that is). The problem is I don't know what I want to include in the piece and, so, how many bodies I need.

Maybe a map of the main features would be better.

Anyway, thanks again.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Nice pictures. Cheers all... keep them coming!

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find a Map of Our Galaxy?

1. What kind of map do I need for travelling?

The type of map you need for travelling depends on your destination and mode of transportation. If you are travelling by car, a road map would be most useful. If you are hiking or exploring a city, a topographic map or city map would be more suitable. It is also important to consider the scale and level of detail of the map.

2. How can I access a map for my destination?

There are several ways to access a map for your destination. You can purchase a physical map from a store or online, download a digital map onto your phone or GPS device, or use an online mapping service such as Google Maps. It is also a good idea to check with your accommodation or local tourism office for maps of the area.

3. What features should I look for in a map for travelling?

When choosing a map for travelling, it is important to look for features that will be most useful to you. This may include detailed street names, landmarks, public transportation routes, and points of interest. You may also want to consider the size and durability of the map for easy transportation.

4. How can I use a map for navigation while travelling?

To use a map for navigation while travelling, it is important to familiarize yourself with the key and symbols used on the map. You can also plot your route and mark important landmarks or turns. It is also helpful to have a compass and know how to use it in conjunction with the map. In addition, be sure to update your map with any changes or detours along your journey.

5. Are there any other tools or resources I can use for travelling besides a map?

Yes, there are many other tools and resources you can use for travelling besides a map. These may include GPS devices, travel guidebooks, language translation apps, and travel blogs or forums. It is also helpful to talk to locals or fellow travelers for recommendations and tips on navigating your destination.