Where Can I Find Current Research on Breakthrough Propulsion Physics?

In summary, The Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project (BPP) was a NASA program that focused on researching new physics concepts for powering future spacecraft. It aimed to serve as a centralized source of information for these advancements. However, the program was canceled in 2002. Other resources for tracking relevant research and advancements in this field include the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC) and Centauri Dreams, which is linked to the Interstellar Flight Foundation. These resources continue to explore advanced propulsion concepts and other studies related to the future goals of NASA.
Blue3992
First-time poster here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or if it has already been discussed. In other words, go easy on me………

I’m interested in advances in physics that can be used as new power sources for spacecraft . NASA had a program, called the Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) program, that supported research into emerging areas of physics that could be used to power future spacecraft . A summary of their goals is below.

The program was canceled around 2002. I like the whole concept, because it sounded like it was going to be a “clearinghouse” of scientific papers and other work dealing with advances in physics related to space travel. I could follow these advances, without having to wade across the web, and dig through all of the half-baked ideas.

Like I said though, the program was cancelled. Are there any other sites out there that tracks papers and research that is applicable to future space travel?

As its name suggests, the Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project is specifically looking for propulsion breakthroughs from physics. It is not looking for further technological refinements of existing methods. Such refinements are being explored in other projects under the ASTP. Instead, this project looks beyond existing methods, searching for further advances in science from which genuinely new technology can emerge - technology to surpass the limits of existing methods. Topics of interest include experiments and theories regarding the coupling of gravity and electromagnetism, vacuum fluctuation energy, warp drives and wormholes, and superluminal quantum effects. Because these propulsion goals are presumably far from fruition, a special emphasis of the project is to identify and support affordable, near-term, and credible research that will make incremental progress toward these propulsion goals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blue3992,

Yes. The http://niac.usra.edu (NIAC) is an excellent resource. Not only do they explore advanced propulsion concepts, but they also explore lots of interesting studies concerning the future goals of NASA. My personal favorite study is the Magbeam Propulsion System (look in the "Funded Studies" area).

Another resource is Centauri Dreams. This site is linked with the Interstellar Flight Foundation of which Marc Millis (of the NASA BPP project) is a founding member.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing your interest in breakthrough propulsion physics. It is unfortunate that the BPP program was cancelled, as it seemed like a valuable resource for tracking advancements in this field. However, there are still other sources available for staying informed about developments in physics for space travel.

One option is to follow scientific journals and publications that focus on space exploration and propulsion, such as the Journal of Propulsion and Power or the Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. These publications often feature articles and studies on cutting-edge research in this area.

Another option is to follow organizations and companies that are actively working on breakthrough propulsion technologies, such as SpaceX, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic. These companies often share updates and progress on their websites and social media platforms.

Additionally, there are online communities and forums dedicated to discussing and sharing information about breakthrough propulsion physics. These can be a great resource for connecting with others who share your interest and staying up to date on the latest developments.

Overall, while the BPP program may no longer be active, there are still plenty of resources available for staying informed about breakthrough propulsion physics. I hope you continue to explore and learn about this exciting field.

Related to Where Can I Find Current Research on Breakthrough Propulsion Physics?

1. What is Breakthrough Propulsion Physics?

Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) is a field of study that focuses on developing new propulsion methods and technologies that could potentially enable faster and more efficient space travel. It explores concepts and theories that go beyond traditional methods of propulsion, such as chemical rockets, and aims to discover innovative ways to propel spacecraft through space.

2. How is BPP different from conventional propulsion methods?

Unlike conventional propulsion methods, which rely on the principle of Newton's Third Law of Motion, BPP explores unconventional concepts such as warp drive, anti-gravity, and quantum vacuum plasma thrusters. These methods could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel and significantly reduce the amount of fuel needed for long-distance space travel.

3. What are some of the challenges in developing breakthrough propulsion technologies?

One of the main challenges in BPP is finding ways to overcome the limitations of our current understanding of physics. Many of the proposed concepts rely on theories that are not yet fully understood or proven, making it difficult to test and implement them in practical applications. Additionally, the high costs and risks associated with developing new technologies are also major obstacles.

4. What progress has been made in BPP so far?

While there have been many theoretical proposals and experiments conducted in BPP, there have been no breakthroughs or successful implementations of these concepts yet. However, some progress has been made in areas such as laser propulsion, solar sails, and plasma thrusters, which have shown potential for improving the efficiency of space travel.

5. How could breakthrough propulsion technologies impact space exploration?

If successful, breakthrough propulsion technologies could revolutionize space exploration by allowing us to travel farther and faster than ever before. This could open up new possibilities for human exploration of the solar system and beyond, and also have significant implications for space tourism and commercial space activities.

Back