Where Can I Find Multispectral Images of the Earth?

In summary, there are pictures of the Earth taken at other frequencies of light, such as infrared, but not in the x-ray spectrum due to the Earth's temperature not being high enough to emit significant amounts of x-rays. These pictures are available on NASA's website, particularly through the GOES satellite.
binbots
Where can I find pictures of the Earth taken from different frequences of light other than the visible spectrum? There has to be X ray pics of the planet.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You mean taken with the giant, planet sized x-ray imager?

Google

Well I have seen x ray images of the sun. So I assume they can take the same picture of the earth. I looked around and could not find these pics.

To have a reasonably measurable intensity in the x-ray region, I believe you'd need temperatures in excess to 105K. You get that easily from the hot parts of the sun, but not so much from the earth.

The Earth radiates primarily in the IR regime. Have you looked within the NASA website? They've been measuring the Earth's emission spectrum for lots of years now.

Wien's displacement law, [tex]\lambda_{max}=\frac{b}{T}[/tex], shows the relationship between the temperature of a body and the frequency of the radiation it re-emits. [tex]\lambda_{max}[/tex] is the peak wavelength in meters, [tex]T[/tex] is temperature in Kelvin, and [tex]b[/tex] is Wien's displacement constant, which is 2.897 x 10[tex]^{-3}[/tex] m K.

If you plug in the Earth's surface temperature, you get wavelengths in the infrared.

Since it isn't putting out any x-rays it would be invisible to an x-ray camera.

Last edited:
binbots said:
Where can I find pictures of the Earth taken from different frequences of light other than the visible spectrum? There has to be X ray pics of the planet.

Many of the NASA satellites are pictures at other spectrums (i.e. they're not actually pictures, they're visualizations of various sensor data.)

GOES is a good example: http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Where Can I Find Multispectral Images of the Earth?

1. What are Earth photos using X-ray and beyond technology?

Earth photos using X-ray and beyond technology involve the use of advanced imaging techniques such as X-ray, infrared, and ultraviolet to capture images of Earth's surface and atmosphere. These images provide a unique perspective and reveal details that may not be visible to the naked eye.

2. How are X-ray and beyond images of Earth captured?

X-ray and beyond images of Earth are captured using specialized instruments that are either mounted on satellites or carried by aircraft. These instruments use different wavelengths of light to create images of Earth's surface and atmosphere, which are then combined to produce a comprehensive view.

3. What are some benefits of using X-ray and beyond technology for Earth photos?

Using X-ray and beyond technology for Earth photos allows scientists to see beyond what is visible to the naked eye. This can help in studying various aspects of Earth's surface and atmosphere, such as identifying changes in vegetation, mapping land use, monitoring weather patterns, and studying geological features.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using X-ray and beyond technology for Earth photos?

While X-ray and beyond technology can provide valuable insights, there are some limitations to consider. This technology is expensive and requires specialized instruments and expertise to use. Additionally, the images produced may not always be clear or accurate, as they can be affected by factors such as cloud cover and atmospheric conditions.

5. How are X-ray and beyond images of Earth used in scientific research?

X-ray and beyond images of Earth are used in various areas of scientific research, including geology, climatology, and environmental science. They can provide valuable data for understanding Earth's processes and changes over time, as well as for predicting future trends. These images are also used for educational purposes, helping to increase public awareness and understanding of our planet.

Back