Where Can I Find Recommended Calculus Problems for Exam Preparation?

In summary: There are about 1000 problems with solutions in the calculus book. I have it from the time before the change, so I do not know what the changes in content are, but the problems are still there.In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for calculus problems to help them better understand the subject. They have a textbook and can solve routine problems, but are struggling with more advanced problems. They are looking for someone who has experience with the textbook to recommend specific problems. However, it is suggested that they post their attempts at solving problems in a forum without using text speak for better help. It is also recommended to try using a different edition or textbook for better explanations of the material. The Schaum series of books is mentioned as
UnD3R0aTh
I have thomas calculus 12th edition, I like it, I study and understand calculus, but i need somebody to recommend problems for me that will help me understand and will introduce different ideas to me, I can't solve all the problems in the book, please advise!

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be way more specific; you can't expect somebody to pick up a particular text and tick off for you "important problems" vs. "unimportant problems".

Most texts, though, DO provide their own hints of hard/advanced problems, versus routine problems.

As a general advice, you should be able to do ALL routine problems (those are typically the one given directly after the chapter, while separate problem sections will, in their last problems concentrate the truly challenging ones).

HOWEVER:
Your most important guide to which problems you MUST master are those problems which do NOT introduce new notions, but are directly asking you questions concerning the immediate text preceding them.

If a problem has a long, utterly new directions, relative to the main text, those problems are regarded as fairly advanced, and depending on the time you have at your disposal should WAIT, until you are fairly certain you master routine problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exams will, at lower levels, have a predominant focus at testing adequate competency at routine problems, in order to weed out the incompetent, whilst including a couple of "nasty ones" in order to singling out for grade praise the particularly gifted ones. If you fully master routine problems, but none of the advanced problems, you'll pass, not fail. In all probability, your professor isn't a malevolent being having a ghoulish glee at destroying the hopes of the next generation by making exam way too hard.:smile:

Last edited:
u are right, i agree with what u said, but i was hoping for somebody who took thomas before, or worked with a teacher who knows which problems to solve, my exam is on two weeks, please guyz, urgent help needed

Well, two weeks are more than enough time to unlearn childish and rude text message language like "u" and "please", and you'll have more likelihood getting direct, constructive answers by cutting out that, AND being specific about what sort of problems you struggle with (as well as posting your attempts at solving them).

Your implorement is way too general to elicit any responses.

It is better (and will be more helpful for you) that you post 50 separate threads, each with its own problem and your attempts at solving it, than to make a single general question like this one.

Two people who have taught from that book before can give very different tests with very different styles of questions depending on their personal teaching style and the quality of work their students are expected to produce. Your question is literally impossible to answer. As arildno says, if you want to be able to solve problems from the book you should try to solve them, then post in the homework forum here when you get stuck. And do so without using text speak.

there are so many problems in that book, and they are so similar to those in every other standard book, (stewart, edwards and penney, ...) that is hard to believe that using a different book will help you find more useful problems. on the other hand the edition of thomas by those same authors (hass, weir,...) i taught out of, is one of my least favorite books of all time. so you might try a very early edition of thomas, one actually written before thomas died, or one of the other standards listed above, if you need better explanations of the material.

You may not like them, but I have always liked the Schaum series of books from McGraw Hill. The main contents are problems with the solutions shown.

Related to Where Can I Find Recommended Calculus Problems for Exam Preparation?

1. How can I effectively manage my time while preparing for my exam?

One way to effectively manage your time while preparing for your exam is to create a study schedule. Break down the material into smaller chunks and assign specific time slots for each topic. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you cover all the necessary material.

2. What are some effective study techniques for preparing for an exam?

Some effective study techniques include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, and practicing past exam questions. These techniques help with retention and understanding of the material.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for my exam?

It can be challenging to stay motivated while studying for an exam, but one way to do so is to set specific goals for yourself. For example, you can aim to finish a certain number of chapters or complete a practice exam within a specific time frame. Additionally, taking short breaks and rewarding yourself after completing a study session can also help with motivation.

4. How should I approach studying for a cumulative exam?

When studying for a cumulative exam, it's essential to review all the material from the beginning rather than focusing solely on the latest material. Make sure to allocate more time to the topics that you find challenging or have not covered in a while. Also, practice connecting concepts from different chapters to get a better understanding of how everything relates.

5. What should I do the night before my exam?

The night before your exam, it's crucial to get a good night's sleep. Avoid cramming or studying for extended periods as this can lead to burnout and affect your performance on the exam. Instead, do a quick review of your notes and get some rest to ensure that you are well-rested and focused on the day of the exam.

Back