Where Can I Find Resources on Orbital Mechanics for Game Development?

In summary, the conversation is about a small team working on designing a sci-fi space-based RTS game and they are looking for resources on incorporating realistic Newtonian physics and maneuvering spacecraft. They mention using a website as a starting point for their research.
Speedo
Not sure this is the right section for this question, but it seems the closest so...

I'm part of a small team that's working on designing a scifi space-based realtime strategy (RTS) game. One of the things that we'd like to incorporate into the game is relatively realistic Newtonian physics. The basic gravitation and so on isn't a big deal - I remember most of that from physics and still have the textbooks to fill in where there are gaps. What I'm looking for is resources on actually maneuvering spacecraft ; things like calculating moves between different orbits, from one planet to another or so on.

Can anyone point me to some online resources or maybe recommend some books on the subject?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

FAQ: Where Can I Find Resources on Orbital Mechanics for Game Development?

1. What is Orbital Mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in space, particularly how they move around planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

2. Why is Orbital Mechanics important?

Orbital mechanics helps us understand and predict the movement of objects in space, which is crucial for spacecraft navigation and satellite operations.

3. What are some key concepts in Orbital Mechanics?

Some key concepts in orbital mechanics include Kepler's laws of planetary motion, the law of universal gravitation, and Newton's laws of motion.

4. What are some resources for learning about Orbital Mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning about orbital mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Some popular textbooks include "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Roger R. Bate, "Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students" by Howard D. Curtis, and "Introduction to Space Dynamics" by William Tyrrell Thomson.

5. How can I apply Orbital Mechanics in my work?

If you work in the aerospace industry or are involved in space missions, understanding orbital mechanics is essential. It can also be applied in fields such as satellite communications, astrophysics, and even video game development.

Back