Where can i get some semiconductor wire?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for a wire of semiconducting material and their idea to test a principle. They are unsure about where to find this type of wire and what essential properties a semiconductor should have. The expert suggests doing research on a list of semiconductor materials and finding a metal wire for the purpose.
iScience
sorry, really didn't know where to post something like this.

But where can i get a hold of a wire of semiconducting material?

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
sorry, really didn't know where to post something like this. But where can i get a hold of a wire of semiconducting material?
D'you mean like a 'wire' of crystalline silicon? What are the essential physical properties of a semiconductor?

crystalline silicon wire would work. just any semi conducting wire.

not sure if that's a trick question but.. essential property: at standard conditions most charge carriers are in the valence band

Why do you want one?

A "wire" is usually something one uses to transport charge or to conduct current. One usually want something that can do this efficiently, so it makes no sense to me why you would want a "semiconductor wire", considering how poor of a conductor such a thing is. For what purpose would you want to use a "semiconductor wire"?

Zz.

i had an idea for a principle i'd like to test. but I'm not quite sure i want to share it just yet.

thanks! V50

FAQ: Where can i get some semiconductor wire?

1. What is semiconductor wire?

Semiconductor wire is a type of wire that is made from a semiconductor material, such as silicon, germanium, or gallium arsenide. It is used in electronics and semiconductors to create electrical connections and pathways.

2. Where is semiconductor wire commonly used?

Semiconductor wire is commonly used in a variety of applications, such as in computers, smartphones, solar panels, and other electronic devices. It is also used in the production of integrated circuits and other microchips.

3. Where can I purchase semiconductor wire?

Semiconductor wire can be purchased from various electronic component suppliers, both online and in physical stores. Some common suppliers include Digi-Key, Mouser, and Newark.

4. How do I choose the right semiconductor wire for my project?

The right semiconductor wire for your project will depend on various factors, such as the type of semiconductor material, the size and length of the wire, and the specific electrical properties required for your project. It is best to consult with an expert or refer to the wire's datasheet for guidance.

5. What are some potential challenges when working with semiconductor wire?

Some potential challenges when working with semiconductor wire include its fragility, as it can be easily damaged if not handled carefully. It is also important to ensure proper insulation and protection from external factors, such as heat and moisture, as these can affect the performance of the wire. Additionally, semiconductor wire can be more expensive compared to other types of wire, so cost may also be a consideration.