Where Can I Learn About Atomic Orbitals and the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker has been searching for resources to learn about topics related to Quantum Physics such as the Pauli exclusion principle, atomic orbitals, and the Periodic Table. They have not found any useful material and are seeking informal ways to learn about these topics. A suggestion is made to take a mid-level class in Inorganic Chemistry, and a link to a helpful resource on Quantum Physics is provided. The speaker also mentions a book that may cover the desired topics.
Neohaven
I have searched some books I have on Quantum Physics, and so on, but I still haven't found any useable material to learn about the Pauli exclusion pinciple, atomic orbitals, why the Periodic Table exists, or things like that, in an informal way.

Thanks,

Neohaven

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take a mid-level class in Inorganic Chemistry.

This link might help you out: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quacon.html#quacon (Especially the "Atomic Structure" and "Atomic Properties" sections)

As far as books on Quantum Physics, I have one called "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman and it seems to go into the things you described (I don't know how much detail you want it to go into).

I imagine any Quantum Physics book should in theory go into those things.

FAQ: Where Can I Learn About Atomic Orbitals and the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

1. What are atomic orbitals?

Atomic orbitals are regions of space around the nucleus of an atom where electrons are most likely to be found. They describe the probability of finding an electron within a specific energy level and shape within an atom.

2. How are atomic orbitals different from electron shells?

Electron shells refer to the energy levels in an atom where electrons can exist. Atomic orbitals, on the other hand, describe the specific shapes and orientations of the electron clouds within those energy levels.

3. How many atomic orbitals are there in an atom?

The number of atomic orbitals in an atom depends on the energy level. The first energy level, or shell, has one orbital, while the second and third energy levels have 4 and 9 atomic orbitals, respectively. In general, the number of atomic orbitals in an energy level is equal to n^2, where n is the energy level number.

4. What is the difference between s, p, d, and f orbitals?

The letters s, p, d, and f refer to the shape of the atomic orbitals. The s orbital is spherical, while the p orbital is dumbbell-shaped. The d orbital has a cloverleaf shape, and the f orbital has a more complex shape with multiple lobes. Each orbital can hold a different number of electrons and has a unique energy level.

5. How do electrons fill atomic orbitals?

Electrons fill atomic orbitals according to the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons will fill the lowest energy orbitals first before moving to higher energy levels. This rule is also known as the "building-up" principle. Additionally, the Pauli exclusion principle and Hund's rule dictate how electrons are distributed within the orbitals.