Where can I learn Quick math - Help

• Thread starter the_force
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of learning quick math, specifically in the form of mental calculation. The participants discuss various resources and techniques such as books, programs, and Vedic mathematics. Some mention the importance of starting at a young age while others believe that practice is key. The conversation also touches on the concept of mental math being useful in everyday life and in specific professions.
the_force
Where can I learn "Quick" math - Help

Hi,

I don't mave MUCH of a Math back ground, mainly math used for the line of work I am in (Currency Analyst) and programming.

However, i was just inspired by a film I watched about a math expert, who can do calculations in his head like 89 x 437, in like 5 seconds.

Is there a site, or anything learning material that teaches you "Qucik" math that you can do in your head? I am not sure If I am explaining my self correct here, so just let me know. If not, ill try to be more specific.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hummm, you might be out of luck, unless you're a savant genius. If your looking to impress the ladies, I don't think that's the best way :smile:

Hey

Yea thought so :)

I don't mean I want to do the calculation in my head in 5 seconds, just being able to do large multiplication calculations in my head you know.

I thought I seen once a website that had a program that can teach you to do large multiplication calculations...hmmm, could be wrong.

Thanks anyways, appreciate it!

I know there are a few tricks to doing things like that in your head but I have forgotten them. The best way though would just be to practice. Start small and just slowly build up to larger numbers.

read tractenbergs book.

I read once, years ago, of a guy who, while being in a Nazi concentration camp, perfected a mental math system, and wrote a book on it. (Also I read of some guy who used to do a lot of mental math to stay mentally active, while in a Japanese concentation camp.) But at this point I can not remember more.

tronter: read tractenbergs book.

PS: I see tronter is correct: "Mental math system was developed during the Second World War in the Nazi Concentration Camp by a Ukrainian Mathematician Jakow Trachtenberg"

Last edited:
Hey

tronter said:
read tractenbergs book.

Have you read Trachtenberg's book? Can you tell me a little about it, before I drop $90 on it :) ?

Thanks!

what kind of "quick math" are you talking about? just number crunching?

neurocomp2003 said:
what kind of "quick math" are you talking about? just number crunching?

Mainly large multiplication - 3943 x 94 , 12 x 385, and so on for a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have read it. it is very good. i still remember the chapter about multiplying numbers by 11 from 10 years ago.

the_force said:
Hi,

I don't mave MUCH of a Math back ground, mainly math used for the line of work I am in (Currency Analyst) and programming.

However, i was just inspired by a film I watched about a math expert, who can do calculations in his head like 89 x 437, in like 5 seconds.

Is there a site, or anything learning material that teaches you "Qucik" math that you can do in your head? I am not sure If I am explaining my self correct here, so just let me know. If not, ill try to be more specific.

Look into Vedic Mathematics. Its pretty simple once you learn the rules and do a lot of practice (with emphasis on practice).

I've seen 6 year old kids that can do huge amounts of number crunching in a few seconds. Its amazing! My mom is an instructor for such programs. (http://www.ucmas.com/). But you have to start from a very young age.

Last edited:
the_force said:
Hi,

Hi the_force,
I figured it out that you are in need of basic mathematics.

Well Mental Math at https://www.esumz.com adds to online Mathematics.

This will help you out in learning Mathematics basics.

Cheers!

FAQ: Where can I learn Quick math - Help

1. Where can I find quick math help online?

There are many websites and online resources available for quick math help. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and Math is Fun.

2. Are there any free resources for learning quick math?

Yes, there are many free resources available online for learning quick math. Khan Academy and Math is Fun are both free options. You can also search for free math tutorials and practice problems on sites like YouTube and MathHelp.com.

3. Are there any mobile apps that can help me learn quick math?

Yes, there are several mobile apps available that can help you learn quick math on-the-go. Some popular options include Math Tricks, Mathemagics, and Math Master.

4. What are some tips for learning quick math?

Some tips for learning quick math include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, using mnemonics or memory aids, and seeking help from a tutor or online resources when needed.

5. Can I improve my quick math skills even if I struggle with math?

Yes, with practice and determination, anyone can improve their quick math skills. It may take some extra effort and time, but with the right resources and strategies, anyone can become proficient in quick math.

Back