Where Can I Purchase a Superconductor?

In summary, the person is looking for a superconductor that will work under Liquid Nitrogen's temperature and is around 2-5 inches in diameter for a project demonstrating its floating abilities. However, they have only been able to find very small superconductor kits so far and are asking for help in finding a larger one. One person suggests purchasing wire from American Superconductor, a company in Devens, MA that manufactures type 2 superconducting wire.
py0rchemist
I need to buy a superconductor for a simple project. I'm only demonstrating how it floats on a magnetic track.

Where could I find a superconductor that will work under Liquid Nitrogen's temperature, and is around 2-5 inches in diameter?

I've only been able to find very tiny (about .5-1inch) superconductor kits, so far.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
2-5 inches is large for HTC - I've only seen cm pieces.
I don't know if you can make such large pieces, they would certainly be expensive and probably difficult to cool without breaking.

I know I've seen them in various videos online, but what if your saying is true, they must have been made just for that demonstration...

why don't you buy some wire from american superconductor. they are located in devens, ma and manufacture the type2 superconducting wire that can retain superconductivity at high magnetic fields and high temp. that's the stuff they used to build the supercollider in switzerland. comes in really long rolls. i bet you could get some scrap pieces if you rummaged around in their trash.

FAQ: Where Can I Purchase a Superconductor?

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance and zero energy loss at certain temperatures. This property is known as superconductivity and it allows for the efficient transmission of electricity and the creation of strong magnetic fields.

2. Where can I purchase a superconductor?

Superconductors can be purchased from specialized scientific equipment suppliers or manufacturers. They can also be purchased online from various retailers. It is important to ensure that the superconductor you are purchasing is of high quality and meets your specific needs.

3. What types of superconductors are available for purchase?

There are two main types of superconductors: low-temperature superconductors (LTS) and high-temperature superconductors (HTS). LTS are typically made of metal alloys and can only achieve superconductivity at very low temperatures, while HTS are made of ceramic materials and can achieve superconductivity at higher temperatures.

4. How much do superconductors cost?

The cost of a superconductor can vary depending on the type, size, and quality of the material. Generally, LTS are more affordable than HTS, with prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars per kilogram. However, larger and more specialized superconductors can cost significantly more.

5. Can I make my own superconductor?

While it is possible to make your own superconductor, it requires specialized equipment and knowledge in materials science. It is not a simple process and can be dangerous if not done properly. It is recommended to purchase superconductors from reputable suppliers rather than attempting to make your own.

Back