Where Did I Go Wrong Calculating the Divergence of \(\widehat{r}/r^{2}\)?

In summary, the Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point-like sources or point charges. It is represented as δ(x) and has a spike of infinite height at the origin, while being 0 everywhere else. This function is used to represent the divergence of a vector field at a point, as it has similar behavior to a vector field at a point.
shaun_chou
I know that this question was posted before but I just couldn't get it using another way around. So your comments are highly appreciated. In the textbook, [tex]\nabla\bullet\left(\widehat{r}/r^{2}\right)=4\pi\delta^{3}\left(r\right)[/tex]. But when I want to calculate the divergence using Catesian coordinates then it comes to calculate [tex]{\frac{\partial}{\partial\,x} x/(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex] but I can't get the results of "zero" as it claimed. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to add three derivatives to get zero, not only x-component. You will obtain 1/r3 - 1/r3.

Last edited:

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical tool used to represent a point source in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of a point charge or a point mass. In this context, the Dirac delta function can be thought of as a distribution that is concentrated at a single point, with an infinite magnitude at that point and zero magnitude everywhere else.

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of the outward flux of the field from a given point. In the case of the vector field \widehat{r}/r^{2}, which represents the electric field of a point charge, the divergence is given by \nabla\bullet\left(\widehat{r}/r^{2}\right). This is equal to 4\pi\delta^{3}\left(r\right) because the field is radially symmetric and the flux is concentrated at the origin, where r=0.

When calculating the divergence using Cartesian coordinates, it is important to remember that the vector field \widehat{r}/r^{2} is not defined at the origin. This means that the partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z are also not defined at the origin. Therefore, the expression {\frac{\partial}{\partial\,x} x/(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{3/2}} is also not defined at the origin.

To properly calculate the divergence using Cartesian coordinates, we need to use the definition of the divergence in terms of partial derivatives:

\nabla\bullet\left(\widehat{r}/r^{2}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial\,x} \left(\frac{x}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{3/2}}\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial\,y} \left(\frac{y}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{3/2}}\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial\,z} \left(\frac{z}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{3/2}}\right)

Using this definition, we can see that the divergence of \widehat{r}/r^{2} is indeed zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. This is consistent with the fact that the

Related to Where Did I Go Wrong Calculating the Divergence of \(\widehat{r}/r^{2}\)?

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point-like sources or point charges.

2. How is the Dirac delta function represented mathematically?

The Dirac delta function is represented mathematically as δ(x), where x is the variable. It is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x = 0, where it is undefined. The value of the delta function at x = 0 is infinite, but it is often considered as a limit of a sequence of functions that approach infinity at x = 0 and approach 0 everywhere else.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function represents a point-like source or point charge. It can be thought of as a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has a spike of infinite height. This means that the delta function has a very high value at the origin and very low values everywhere else, making it useful for modeling point-like phenomena in physics and engineering.

4. What is divergence?

In vector calculus, divergence is a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out from a given point. It is defined as the rate of flow of a vector field out of a small closed surface surrounding that point. Divergence can be thought of as a measure of the strength of a vector field at a given point.

5. How is divergence related to the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function can be used to represent the divergence of a vector field at a point. This is because the delta function has a very high value at the origin and very low values everywhere else, which is similar to the behavior of a vector field at a point. In fact, the delta function is often used in the definition of divergence to represent this behavior at a point.