Where Did I Go Wrong in My Integration by Parts Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the formula for F(b), which is the exact area under the graph of y = x2*e-x between x=0 and x=b for b>0. The solution involves using the integral formula int(uv')= uv - int(vdu) and considering the definite integral from 0 to b. The conversation also mentions a mistake made and the frustration with using the online platform WebAssign.
CandyApples

Homework Statement

Let F(b) be the exact area under the graph of y = x2*e-x between x=0 and x=b for b>0. Find the formula for F(b).

Homework Equations

int(uv')= uv - int(vdu)

The Attempt at a Solution

u = x2 and dv = e-x, thus u'=2xdx and v=-e-x.

y= -x2*e-x - -2*integral(xe-x).
= -x2*e-x -2xe-x-2e-x.

This does not yield the correct equation, so where did i make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you remember that this is a definite integral from 0 to b?

yes, and this resulted in the previous answer with b's subbed in for the x's then +2 since the only term left would be - -2 when zero is plugged in.

Then I don't see what's wrong with your answer. Why do you think it's wrong?

it is a webassign problem, so it gives me a red x when I am wrong. I probably just need to fix notation somewhere, thank you for verifying that the integral is correct though :).

Issue resolved, i accidentally had a double - that i had to check over a couple times to notice. Man I hate webassign lol.

CandyApples said:
Issue resolved, i accidentally had a double - that i had to check over a couple times to notice. Man I hate webassign lol.

haha SBU I am assuming?

Stay Up
-1-

Related to Where Did I Go Wrong in My Integration by Parts Problem?

1. What is integration by parts and when is it used?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is typically used when the integrand cannot be easily integrated using other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

There is no specific rule for determining when to use integration by parts. It is often used when there is a product of two functions, or when the integrand contains a polynomial times an exponential or trigonometric function.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions and du and dv are their respective differentials. This method essentially involves splitting the integral into two parts and using the formula to simplify the overall integration process.

4. What are the steps for solving an integration by parts problem?

The steps for solving an integration by parts problem are as follows:

1. Identify u and dv in the integrand.
  2. Calculate du and v by differentiating and integrating u and dv, respectively.
  3. Substitute the values for u, du, v, and dv into the integration by parts formula.
  4. Simplify the resulting integral and solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can integration by parts be used to solve definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve definite integrals. In this case, the limits of integration must also be incorporated into the formula and used to evaluate the resulting integral after simplification.