Where did I go wrong in this special relativity problem?

In summary, we have two stars, Star A and Star B, which are at rest relative to Earth. Star A is 27 c*y away from Earth, and Star B is located beyond Star A as viewed from Earth. A spaceship travels from Earth to Star A at a speed of 0.91c, taking 12 years according to clocks on the spaceship. To reach Star B, the spaceship speeds up and departs from Star A at a speed of 0.97826c, with a gamma factor twice that of part a. The trip from Star A to Star B takes 5 years according to the spaceship time. According to the calculations, the distance between Star A and Star B in the rest frame of Earth and
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Star A and Star B are at rest relative to Earth. Star A is 27 c*y from Earth, and as viewed from Earth, Star B is located beyond Star A.

a) A spaceship is making a trip from Earth to Star A at a speed such that the trip from Earth to Star A takes 12 years according to clocks on the spaceship. At what speed, relative to earth, must the spaceship travel?

b) Upon reaching Star A, the spaceship speeds up and departs for Star B at a speed such that the gamma factor is twice that of part a. The trip from Star A to star B takes 5 years according to the spaceship time. How far, in c*y, is Star B from Star A in the rest frame of Earth and the two stars?

Homework Equations

tpγ=t
γ=(1/(1-(v^2/c^2)^1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a correct. i took the equation tpγ=t and multiplied both sides by v, then set the right side equal to the given distance between Earth and Star A and solved for v.

The answer is .91c confirmed by the back of my book.

For part b, the gamma factor is doubled, so I solved for the value of gamma in part one with the now known velocity of .91c and multiplied it by 2, giving me 4.823. I then used this new gamma to solve for the new velocity, and got v=.97826c.
I used similar method as part one with the tpγ=t equation. first used the 5 year proper time and the new gamma factor to get the time according to Earth's frame, then multiplied that amount of time by the velocity of .97826c. I end up getting 23.5 c*y when the back of my book says 22 c*y.
;-(

Physics news on Phys.org
I got roughly the same answer that you got. If they rounded the velocity in part a to 0.9, and then rounded the result in part b to two significant figures, they would have obtained 22c. I don't know whether this is what they did or not.

Related to Where did I go wrong in this special relativity problem?

1. What is the concept of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. Why is special relativity important?

Special relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space and time and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It also forms the basis for Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, which describes the relationship between energy and mass.

3. What common mistakes are made when solving special relativity problems?

The most common mistake is not correctly applying the Lorentz transformation equations, which are used to convert measurements between different reference frames. Another mistake is forgetting to consider time dilation and length contraction effects.

4. How can I check if I have made a mistake in a special relativity problem?

You can check your calculations by using the Lorentz transformation equations and making sure that your results are consistent with the principles of special relativity. You can also try solving the problem in a different reference frame to see if you get the same result.

5. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of special relativity?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and videos, that can help you improve your understanding of special relativity. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and seeking feedback from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, attending lectures or seminars on the topic can provide valuable insights and help clarify any confusion.